Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
svent

DK440LX & Win2k

Hello all!

I look in the hardware section of this forum and find 2 reviews; one saying everything works fine with the Intel DK440LX mobo and Win2k. The other one says exactly what I am experiencing; lock ups after ~5 minutes.

Any ideas what to do ?

Could it be the Intel Express graphics card? (i740-based, 8 Meg, AGP)?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I could install the latest version of Linux on a 10 year old computer, but not Win2K on a 4 year old...

Setup:

Dk440LX

2*PII@333MHz

1 SCSI-drive 3.4Gig.

1 IDE-drive 80 Gig.

224 Meg RAM.

Intel Express Graphics driver.

Yamaha sound card built into mobo.

Intel Ethernet card built into mobo.

1 Philips CD-rom.

1 Samsung CD-RW.

Hi,

Im currently using a Dk440LX mobo (P4 is arriving in a week or so laugh ), and i have to say, i wrote the review that it works fine, and it does! I havent had any rpoblems, and now i have XP.

The only problem with this board is that windows 2000 or Xp wont boot, when you use the Intel workaround after installing a Universal AGP card, this is bceuase something will try and write to the memmory location that you have reserved.

As for your lockups, it is probably becuase of the AGP port, this was 1 of intels 1st AGP motherboards (along with the AL440LX and another one), so its only got AGP 1.0 spec and its not as good as can be. I was gonna install a universal AGP card (TNT2 Pro) but Xp or 2K wouldnt boot, and i did NOT want NT4 or 98.

One thing that you can try to see is, in the BIOS check if your having any conflicts with the IRQ's, and also try to boot up in safe mode and see wether this continues! smile

I'll try to borrow another (non AGP (?)) graphics card and see if it works better.

Thanks for the input.

Quote:
the Intel workaround after installing a Universal AGP
???

/Sven T.

Its a workaorund for the mobo to "allegedly" make it work when you use a Universal AGP card (one that has 2 nothches, eg Geforce, Radeon).

When you use this, windows 2000 or XP will refuse to boot.

The workaround is by reserving the memmory Address range C800-CBFF, if you dont do this then the mobo will geta a POST error, and will NOT complete post next time running.

Go to intels DK440LX site and have a look, also make sure you have the latest BIOS!

I finally got round to borrowing a PCI graphics card (ATI Mach 64 from 1995...) and now W2k is working excellent.

That means I can buy a new graphics card and install. Hooray.

/Sven

Thanks again for the input!

Hi.

I have the same problem, only i can't get it to work with a PCI card either.

I can only install Windows 98, wich isn't much use.

I have tried Nt 4.0 WS/Server, 2000 Pro/Server and Win XP, but only Windows 98 wants to do a complete install.

The system freezes right after the first part of the XP installation is finished, right before you will be asked to press F8.

Please help !

Spec.

2*266Mhz

64MB Ram

3.2GB IDE

ATi 3DRage Pro (Tested both AGP & PCI)

Sonds like you need a new motherboard. For around £50 you can get much better AGP compatibility.

Yeah i know, but i just want that damn thing working....

Anyone got any ideas ?