Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShoeHornOPlenty

Windows Messenger Still Runs In Outlook XP...

Even after I have unchecked the option to have Outlook XP run Messenger when I launch the program, it still runs a process in the background that enables people to see my online status and send me messages even though Windows Messenger is not running in my system tray or taskbar. I believe I spotted the process that it is running when I launch Outlook XP and it is called msmsgs.exe

Any solutions as to how I turn this off so that it really does stop running Messenger when Im just wanting to check mail?

Thanks

*UPDATE* The problem appears to not have been anything to do with Outlook, however something in Norton Antivirus 2003 with its new protection features for instant messenging clients, it would appear that for whatever reason that it was loading msn messenger in the background and keeping it running no matter how many times I shut the process down. I think I have fixed the problem by disabling the IM protection features in NAV 2003

Do what I do, Create 2 batch files in the messenger folder that renames msmsgs.exe to ????.exe and vice versa. Then create a shortcut on your desktop to the bat files. That way you have control over the .exe. When you want to run messenger simply run the bat file that names it back (maybe even calls it after the rename).

Otherwise Outlook and Outlook Express as well as a few proggies will call msmsgs.exe.

Worked for me.

I just pointed the Messenger shorcut to the reanmed one.

Now it doesnt run unless i want it too

Tanks