Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

USB keyboard loves my Event Log

Firstly, I tried searching these boards. Although I did find some info, none was helpful in solving this issue:

I'm using a generic type USB keyboard & a Logitech USB mouse. Both work fine without any issues (so far). But, when I check the Event Viewer logs I always see this friggin error message:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: i8042prt

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 9/24/2002

Time: 9:22:28 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TUSL2-C

Description:

Exceeded the allowable number of retries (configurable via the registry) on device .

Data:

0000: 0f 12 08 00 01 00 62 00 ......b.

0008: 00 00 00 00 1a 00 05 c0 .......À

0010: ba 04 00 00 b5 00 00 c0 º...µ..À

0018: 07 00 00 00 08 00 0b 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0028: ed 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 í.......

The error message is shows up dozens of times. If I swap in a PS/2 keyboard & leave in the USB mouse, no error is generated. Strangely, if I leave in the USB keyboard & instead swap in a PS/2 mouse, the errors continue.

The motherboard is a ASUS TUSL2-C (Intel i815 chipset) with Intel inf update & Intel Application Accelerator installed (these were installed as possible remedies).

I noticed during the boot process the IRQ 12 doesn't list with any of the devices. Could this be some where else to troubleshoot? If so, how? My motherboard doesn't allow me to disable the PS/2 port (my reasoning for this is to possibly free up another irq).

I have spent over an hour searching google (with i8042prt as criteria), but have yet to come up with a solution.

Any takers on this one?

i get the same errror with

my i840 and my natural kb pro usb

i got the a same error with my 440bx

i get that error in 2k xp and .net

i just stopped carring about it.

The i8042prt port mentioned in your event viewer is the PS/2 keyboard port. Windows mentions this timeout at boot because it is configured in the registry to look for the keyboard at the PS/2 port first on every boot (every Windows machine is configured this way by default). Since you have a USB keyboard, it's not going to find a keyboard on the PS/2 port and log the error.

You can tell Windows to stop looking at the PS/2 port on every boot by changing a registry key.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q262798&

If you're on the latest WIn2000 service pack, you can add a "Headless" registry value in the key to disable the startup check.

I have to do this to servers very often... groan...

--Vermyndax

Quote:
The i8042prt port mentioned in your event viewer is the PS/2 keyboard port. Windows mentions this timeout at boot because it is configured in the registry to look for the keyboard at the PS/2 port first on every boot (every Windows machine is configured this way by default). Since you have a USB keyboard, it's not going to find a keyboard on the PS/2 port and log the error.

You can tell Windows to stop looking at the PS/2 port on every boot by changing a registry key.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q262798&

If you're on the latest WIn2000 service pack, you can add a "Headless" registry value in the key to disable the startup check.

I have to do this to servers very often... groan...

--Vermyndax

thanks for the tip
i had given up on trying to fix it
i am going to reboot now and try it

Glad it worked... it was a cosmetic error really, but annoying. Nothing I had more than a red X in my event log.

--Vermyndax

every time i loaded .net it would say

at least one driver or service has failed to start and i would have to click ok so that was a bit annoying but now that it is fixed i am all set

The fact that some of the motherboard cant really turns off PS/2 ports even if they are not use might have caused all of these, try looking inot the mobo BIOS and see if there is an item for turning off the PS/2 and release IRQ12, that might do it.

I use to think PS/2 is a 'basic instinct' of the OS in win9X, it is somehow still true for XP