Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Remembering customized column widths in Management Console

How can you have the O/S remember customized column widths when using any of the Windows management tools. The default widths are way too small especially under description.

I go through and customize them, the next time I open up that panel they are all back to the lousy default width!

Change the MMC shortcuts to use /a instead of /s. E.g., for computer management:

%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /a

When you close the MMC after launching it in this way, it'll prompt you to save settings.

Note that if you don't have the rights to write to the .msc file, the save wil probably fail.

HTH

Ok........would you like to tell me just how to do that?

I'm not very good in DOS which I assume you are talking about to use regarding the switches.

Just right click on the computer management shortcut in the start menu or control panel and select properties. Look for the Target text field under the Shortcut tab. You'll see something like "%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s". Just replace this text with the new text as described above. Click okay and launch the shortcut.

He must of died!

Thanks for the answer. Works like a charm. Why M$ didn't give the option of doing this in the first place is beyond me!