Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3da

Sound Problem....

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me as I've been stuck on this for a long time...

Ive been trying to play Command and Conquer with sound but with no luck. I play it through dos as the windows 95 version(using the apcompat.exe) just gave me a lot of errors, its working fine except for the sound...

Its not because of the win 2000 dos sound problem, but because for some reason, it dosent detect my sound card! My sound card(soundblaster 16) have never been any trouble before nether with older or newer games so why now? If anybody still play this game, you would know that there are 3 buttons on the left in the sound setup screen on SETUP.exe. On mine there are only 1:

SAVE.

I have tried every sound card driver listed but it keeps saying that it dosent support it, even the soundblaster one!!!

Is there a manual way to set the sound driver type, cause i know soundblaster works acctually works... or is there a patch or fix???

If you know something, please reply!!!!!

Thanks!!

3DA

I have already tried VDMsound but it has nothing to do with it...

I cant get sound because the setup wont let me pass untill i set it on NO SOUND as none of the other options work ...

Therefore there wont be any sound anyway...

Any other suggestions?

There is no sound for DOS games in Windows 2000 because there is no emulated sound card. The DOS game does not "see" a sound card. To get it to "see" a sound card you have to use VDMSound to "emulate" a soundcard for the game.

The reason your game works when you set it to "NO SOUND" is because the game does not error out when it goes looking for a sound card that is not there. If you use VDMSound and setup the configuration for sound properly then the game WILL work.

Download this: ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP for the Windows ver of C&C and apply it to your version. The Windows ver should work fine then....and please ALWAYS look for the latest patch for your game before playing them!

Thanks....!!!

Hopefully it will work now!!...

cheers