Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sarob

Can not install MS administration tools on XP SP1 sys

The XP version of the administration tools (b3-web-version-adminpak.msi) for Microsoft servers will no longer install if SP1 is installed on an XP system. I have attempted to use latest adminpak.msi from .NET server RC1, but still getting the Service Pack level mismatch error. Has anyone found a solution to adminpak.msi and XP SP1? ;(

Msizap.exe

Msizap.exe is a command line utility that removes all Windows Installer information for a product or all products installed on a computer. Products installed by the installer may fail to function after using MsiZap.

It is located here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/util20/1/NT4/EN-US/msicuu.exe

Simply install it and launch the application "Windows Installer Cleanup" it will open up a window similiar to your add/remove programs window. Choose the Administration Tools Pack and select remove and it will remove the necessary registry keys. After that you can install the updated adminpack.msi from the i386 directory of your installed product.

Cheers!

As stated in my previous post, the .NET adminpack.msi can always be found in the I386 directory of the .NET product you are installing. The one that is on the website is RC1 specific. If you are installing interim builds use the one that comes with it.

However, if you actually pay attention to the link (read the page), this can apply to *anyone* that is needing to manage .NET servers and/or Windows 2000 servers from an XP box. It also details solutions to possible problems that he might experience in the future. This post might come up in future searches, so having a link that exposes the newest file and explains version conflicts might be fairly helpful.

The original problem......

Quote:
I have attempted to use latest adminpak.msi from .NET server RC1, but still getting the Service Pack level mismatch error. Has anyone found a solution to adminpak.msi and XP SP1?

No disrespect intended but the original poster is experiencing the same thing I did. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he did something wrong. It is a legitimate documented Microsoft error. If you install XP Pro then install .NET Admin Tools Pack and then Install Sp1 you cannot uninstall or update the Admin tools pack. It has absolutely "nothing" to do with anything you related to. I'm not trying to knitpick but if you knew the answer as you think do, why not answer this post last month when it was posted. I am only trying to help two people who share this same problem. Also.....if you are an MCSE why put MCP? We all know if you are an MCSE you have to be an MCP. The correct way to write it is MCSE+I.

Actually, no, I am *not* an MCSE+I due to the certifications I have. If I had picked up Proxy Server or Exchange Server, then I would, in fact, have been an MCSE+I. Try not to make assumptions, as you are simply making an a$$ of yourself. I only have two of the qualifying "+I" criteria, and am therefore an MCP+I in addition to being an MCSE. If you like, I could scan in transcript...no, wait, your opinion does not really concern me.

Next, no one ever stated that he (nor you) did something wrong, I was presenting a more common approach to it that also resolves future issues that he might encounter. Also, as there are many posts, I might not see *every* single post shown. But, if you think that someone making alternate option to your post being known is a personal attack, then you are in for a rough time as many people here are quite opinionated and will be offering all kinds of options.