Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Is Office XP that much better than office 2000?

I have Office XP.

I wanted FrontPage XP and with the rebate Microsoft were offering the upgrade from Office 2000 to Office XP was a real bargain.

However, normally when it comes to Office I tend to miss versions out.

The differences between Office 2k and Office XP do not warrant the upgrade price (at full price) unless you specifically need one of the products contained in the package.

Office XP (In my opinion) is better, there are some nice features and I now love Outlook XP too, but it's not that much better.

I agree. Office XP has some really nice features. On the consumer level, however, it probably isn't worth the price if you are already running Office 2000. At this point, I'd suggest waiting for the next version of Office. It will be released next year.

Of course, if you have come across a good price on XP (student discount, etc.) and don't mind parting with the money, I'd say go for it. I definitely prefer it over Office 2000. Smart Tags are very neat. And the new Cut and Paster options save me an enormouse amount of time.

As a student myself I have not seen much of a difference between 97, 2000 and XP, the school labs have Office XP and realistically it performs the same, only difference that was extremely noticeable was the autocorrect feature in Word.

unless you are a"hardcore" user, with like Access, Excel and such, you will not notice a large diff. in office if all you use is Word and outlook,

Xp added a lot more features, and fixed previous bugs etc.

Quote:
unless you are a"hardcore" user, with like Access, Excel and such, you will not notice a large diff. in office if all you use is Word and outlook,

Xp added a lot more features, and fixed previous bugs etc.

yeaH!, ya'right

Outlook XP no longer has the shared contacts feature that was pretty popular in 2000. We have a lot of ppl stuck at Office 2000 b/c they cannot give up sharing a contact list of over a thousand people that is constantly changing.

Access XP has a lot better integration and support for SQL Server 2000 (Access 2000 had to be patched, and that wasn't the best performance), Outlook XP lets you setup group calendars for use with Exchange, and you can export tables from webpages into spreadsheets with a simple click of the mouse using Excel XP (I can't remember if that was available in Excel 2000). These are all things that I commonly use that make the upgrade worth it for me. But then again, I have an MSDN subscription and I am getting another copy (dev edition) for free...

laugh