Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Free Software from MS

If you go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/usability/jump1.htm

you can sign up for surveys, and some of which give you various software packages to choose from. I just finished up one (almost an hour and a half!) and it gave me various client OSs, Applications, X-Box game combos, and some other stuff. I opted for the Office XP Developer's Edition box set. Just thought I would pass this along.

Hi Clutch,

Thanks for the info. I tried to do one of their evaluations in the past, when I lived in the area and they wanted me to come drive all the way out to their location twice just to get a Spanish Tutorial. Naturally, I cancelled smile. At that rate I can afford to buy the program I wanted. I signed up for the developer testing, simply, because I'll be stuck using those tools so I might as well give them feedback on them.

-Christian

Ummm, these are just online surveys to determine software usability. You aren't limited to actually driving to a specific location.

Ya I can see that currently they are currenlty offering online testing. In the past, as I just said, they wanted me to drive there and visit their evaluation labs. I used to live in Bothel, WA which is real close to bellevue and Redmond, WA (Home of Microsoft).

-Christian

So let me get this straight, you give MS a few hours of your time and they send you free software?

Call me cynical but where's the catch here?

There isn't one, you do work for MS and MS gives you something of monetary value that doesn't cost them hardly anything. This has been around for years. However it used to only be offered to Puget Sound, WA area residents.

-Christian

Actually, I think you are referring to a different program (as in your previous posts). This one has been around for quite a while, and has allowed for online participation rather than going anywhere. Also, in the past the software was a bit more limited (I got a free copy of Win2K Pro out of the blue from doing a survey), but this one has a lot more options. This link basically puts you on a list for future surveys.

Hi Clutch,

No as far as I know it's part of the same program. You're just using the distant customer option. When I went and signed up after reading your post I saw links to go to one of their testing labs. So even if it's a slightly different program you do the same thing, evaluate a product, give feedback, and get a goodie in return smile.

-Christian

So you think that there is only one survey program going on with MS? If you do, then you are sorely mistaken.

I don't know if they will hit you on this survey, but you would probably get picked up on the next one. I am fairly sure that they rotate amongst those that are signed up.

Quote:
Too bad I no longer work iN redmond. i like free stuff

Hey Sapiens74 I totally agree. I miss MS's file servers home of just about every wonderful MS product ever made. Although sometimes it's difficult to connect between departments. For example the Games Dept doesn't always share their latest with the OS's, and MS press keeps a tight lock on their tutorials. But who knows maybe things have changed since I toiled their in 1999.

No Clutch I know MS pays tons of agencies to do all sorts of evaluations for them. They even pay people to sit down and write text descriptions and vote on the best descriptions to that their wording inside of applications is highly intuitive.
-Christian

I just signed up for the Beta of Longhorn, Hopefully I get picked.

Got picked for the C&C Generals Beta so i'm pretty juiced

Sapiens are you crazy? I hope you have a spare PC to run that on? Have you ever beta tested an OS before? It sucks! Nothing works, everything crashes, and you waste tons of time trying to figure out why. The only cool thing is when it comes out you'll be a hot job prospect, presumably. All the same good luck. Sometimes a new OS is like a new universe, or a giant playground smile. However I don't think the cost of the OS 100-200 is worth all the time you'll waste when you're apps don't work. Anyways just my two cents.

I hope it's fun for you and you have good experiences with it,

Christian

Well that entirely depends on when he joins the beta test.

Many beta products mature at a fair old rate and by the time the "general public" get to participate in the beta all is very stable.

Now if you are joining the test from the alpha stage things are very different.

Alpha Win95 had to be installed on a seperate PC and an average build would last a week before a new one was needed.

After beta testing every MS OS since Win95 (Well, 98, NT4, 2000 & XP, I gave ME a miss) I tend to find that the beta builds we first get our hands on are usually pretty sound, although not something I'd want on my main system.

I miss the chance to be able to play with the Alpha builds, Alpha 95 shipped on some 30+ floppy disks and was amazing to behold - alas MS don't seem to allow Alpha builds out of the building (officially) now a days.

I have a hard drive rack for just such a purpose.

And I am already in the IT field, so getting the jump on my counterparts when testing a new OS is a positive thing.

Okay fair enough. You know I think I've forgotten one thing. MS tests the hell out of their beta releases. It's the daily internal beta builds that are trouble. Before they release a beta build to the public they don't include any new code for a few days and allow additional testing to make sure they've got a stable build.

I tested Windows 98SE and 2000 internally for Microsoft in the Windows Consumer Hardware lab.

Quote:

I tested Windows 98SE and 2000 internally for Microsoft in the Windows Consumer Hardware lab.

And...

Sounds like you trailed off and didn't get to the point, or was it the point?

Sorry Clutch, what that means is that I tested less stable daily builds rather than the periodic public builds which we test the hell out of which are in fact much more stable. So my experience with that beta builds may be worse than most. However either way it's a hassle to test a beta OS. In fact it could be something worth crying about if you lose a whole day or more of worth work, because the OS ate your files. So it is my recommendation to test the OS by playing games rather than doing mission critical work on a your beta box.

Of course the games approach typically isn't accepted in a business environment. Even though that's how I learned most of what I know about this fuzzy little OS. smile. Today I'm not much of a gamer though I usually program, because it's almost as much fun and it pays the bills.

Cheers,

Christian