Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tobymack

problem with win2k & scanner events

Hi All,

I've just upgraded my PC (XP2000+, MSI KT3 U2, 256M, GF4ti4200) and at the same time gone to a clean install of win2k (inc sp2).

Most things work fine but I am having big problems with my scanner. (Epson Perfection 1200)

I downloaded latest twain drivers (5.53?) and everything installed fine. However, I am having big problems with scanner button events!

Two main problems:

1) In scanner events (properties from scanner under control panel) I have two applications registered. Imaging and Photocopier. However, if I tick only one application it still pops up a window asking me which application to launch. Even if I tick neither box it does this. Basically it appears to be ingnoring the settings in the control panel!

2) I have Pagemanager (came with scanner) which was registered fine in my old win98 setup. However, under win2k it doesn't appear as a registered application for scan button events.

I've removed and re-installed all twain drivers (and all version on the Epson site!), re-installed the scanner and re-installed photocopier and pagemanager and no difference.

Any ideas before I go back to win98! frown

TIA,

Toby

I also run an Epson Perfection 1200 on Win2K. I've been using it successfully with both SP2 and SP3. I'm using the old Twain driver 4.10E, though, which comes off the Epson software CD. Perhaps you should go back to the earlier driver you had?

thanks pacman. I have already tried v4.1 twain drivers. Not from the installation CD but from Epsons website. My installation CD says it will not run under NT and there is no mention of NT/W2K in the directory structure (only "twain", win95 and win98) so I left it alone.

I just downloaded the driver, installed it, turned on the scanner and it PnP installed itself no problems- until I came to use it anyway!

Tobymack, I use a new QDI motherboard with SiS chipset. QDI provided me with a utility CD that had not only the chipset drivers on it but also a USB2.0 driver. Both seem to work okay with Win2K. I think Microsoft has now released a more universal USB2.0 driver for Win2K. There's certainly one available at SiS's website now but I'm not sure whether that one's specific to SiS chipsets.

You don't say which chipset your motherboard uses. Also, you don't say whether you're trying to make the 1200 work with USB2.0 or with USB1.1.

Also, to install Twain, I used the 'Supplement for Win2K', the description of the driver installation, which came with the scanner. This ensures the Twain gets installed properly. So, after Win2K is up and running, use that.

After that, I suggest you try out the scanner by using a reliable program like Paintshop Pro or Photoshop Elements. Do remember that there are some basic configurations to do in Scanners & Cameras, in Control Panel. Don't install that other scanner or photo software you mentioned, as it might be suspect. Use known reliables, like PSPro and/or PE, at least at first.

Hope this helps.

Hi Packman,

My board has a MSI with Via Kt333 chipset, it came with USB2.0 drivers which I have installed. I've haven't seen any microsoft generic ones but I'll have a look, it might be worth an experiment. I am also thinking of removing the USB2.0 drivers and just using the USB1 drivers just in case there is a problem there.

I have tried just the basic windows imaging on its own (came with win2k so I guess it should work!) and also paintshop pro. No difference frown

Anyway, things get stranger. Last night I was messing with the settings under control panel->scanners and cameras->Epson properties->events. Sometimes when I changed the event to use the next time I checked it had gone back to its default. The other half the time it just hung the control panel window so I had to use task manager to kill it.

One thing I did notice last night is that the readme with the epson drivers say I should install them under admin login. I have been using my own login (the default one for the system). I tried uninstalling and going to admin to install but it made no difference frown

I think I have a spare hard disc with win98 on it so I think my next step is to swap to that, upgrade it for the new motherboard etc and check if the scanner works properly. If it does I will upgrade it to win2k and see what happens. If that works I guess I have to re-install win2k on my main disc but I hope not!

Are you installing Win2K, chipset drivers, and apps in the correct order? It does make a difference, you know. The suggested order is:

Win2K

SP2 or SP3

chipset drivers

any chipset updates

graphics driver and monitor

Internet browser and e-mail client

DX8.1NT

USB2.0

then install device drivers and apps, plug-ins, etc.

If you're using FAT32, you can use a Win98 floppy to get to an A prompt and, from there, reformat your root partition and so start again. Otherwise, I think you can reformat inside the Setup for Win2K.

If your m/board manufacturer has already supplied the USB2.0 driver on a CD, I wouldn't bother with an extra one from Microsoft. At least, I've not found the MS one necessary.

Interesting, I reckon my installation order is more like.....

Win2K

SP2 or SP3

Internet browser- with win2k

chipset drivers

USB2.0

graphics driver and monitor

DX8.1NT

e-mail client

then install device drivers and apps, plug-ins, etc.

Not a significant difference I guess?

I'll try a re-install this weekend if I have a chance.

By "Internet browser and e-mail client" I meant "any update to Internet browser and e-mail client". For example, you may wish to install IE5.5 and Internet Tools, from the Windows Update site. As I'm sure you know, IE/OE 5.0 get installed intially as part of Windows.

I agree that your order is more-or-less okay. The most important is to get those initial three done in the correct order:

Win2K

SP2 or SP3

chipset drivers

You can, if you wish, download and install IE6 instead. However, the SP1 for IE6 contains a nasty bug, affecting browser windows, so if you do decide to try IE6, try to get IE6 on its own, not with SP1.

The DirectX to install is DX81NTeng.exe.

Am not sure what the effect of installing "e-mail client" as late as you're suggesting does. Perhaps you're meaning MS Outlook or something, which should be fine and will run alongside OE.

Yeh, I'd reinstall if I were you. I'm also doing a reinstall this weekend, as I think I installed a bum DX8.1 last time around and some of my video here and there has disappeared. That DX81NTeng.exe is the proper version to use.

Yep, I meant Outlook for email client, I am using the default browser installation (IE 5?). Not sure about DirectX version though, I am using DX8.1 but don't know any more than that, it came with the drivers for my video card (MSI GF4). I'll check it out and use the NT ones if I am not already.

I reckon my problems go a bit further than the scanner. Last night it crashed twice (vsmon.exe (whatever than is!) taking 100% of CPU) when browsing and reading news. Lets hope a re-install sorts it out!

Thanks! Toby

Possibly, the recent crashes you've had have been due to interrupt clashes. Unless you've already done so, in the BIOS, set the resources so that the BIOS is in control of interrupts and PnP assignment, rather than Windows. I've always found that to be the best arrangement and consequently have never had a crash due to interrupts.

I assume also that you've checked that you're using the latest BIOS.

I suggest you update IE/OE to at least v5.5 after you've installed the chipset drivers, etc. You can also download that DX81NTeng.exe from Microsoft's site.

Well, I've reinstalled win2k, checked all driver/bios versions etc. Still no joy.

Last night I re-installed windows 98 and it works fine!

Very puzzling but win2k didn't give me any major benefits so it looks like I'll have to stick with win98. Shame as I liked the look of win2k.

Thanks for trying to help!

Toby

You must be mad, going back to Windows 98. It's a truly dreadful OS. I was glad to get shot of it. Windows 2000 is infinitely better.

My conclusion is that you either haven't followed some basic rules for installing Windows 2000, chipset drivers, etc or you're trying to use applications with it that are not compatible. Just because your applications seem to work okay in Windows 98 doesn't mean that they'll work in Windows 2000. Frankly, the bundled software that comes with that scanner isn't worth the bother using. Stick to apps that are known to be compatible with 2000.

The overriding advantage of 2000 over 98 is that 2000 is rock-solid stable. It won't keep crashing and, even if does, it'll recover easily. 2000 is also more secure.

normally I would agree with you. Yes, even in the short time I used it I liked win2k, it appears much more memory efficient, faster and coped with errant applications better. However, to be fair to win98 the only real problem I had with it was that it couldn't cope with the meagre 64M of memory I used to have. With 256M now that isn't a problem. All my other crashes etc with win98 could be put down to either errant applications or me doing something silly.

Anyway, I don't appear to have an option!

1) install win2k

2) install sp2

3) install via chipset drivers (any version)

4) install twain/scanner (any version)

5) go to scanner control in control panel. Setup button click.

6) doesn't work

7) go back to scanner control. Crashes control. Needs taskmanager to kill.

now the install doesn't get much simpler than that, I can even leave out steps 2 and 3 and it still dies.

This coupled with a few more problems means that, on balance, win98 is actually better for me than win2k. Frustrating but true.

Other issues are:

1) Can't get incd to work with win2k

2) Presto pagemanager won't register for scanner events.

3) changing screen resolution on the fly causes windows to do strange things.

These are all things I use a lot so it was pretty frustrating.

It is worth pointing out that even if the apps I have aren't the best (and yes, my scanner was made before win2k existed!), they are the apps I have and I am not prepared to spend money changing them just because the damn operating system doesn't like them!

Don't anyone get me wrong, I am not knocking win2k. These issues are probably either specific to my setup or just driver issues. I might even have a hardware fault athough I'd be suprised if it gave such specific and repeatable faults. Anyway, I've now spent in excess of 10 hours trying to sort it when I have better things to do so I have given up for the moment. I've not given up totally though, I still have a spare hard disk so sometime I will put win2k on that next time I am bored and give it another try.

That is it for now anyway frown

Well, for a start, Presto Pagemanager is not compatible with Win2K, so why on earth you keep insisting on using it I simply don't know.

InCD DOES work with Win2K, but you need to use at least v2.32. Go to Ahead's website or the Nero website and you can probably download a compatible version for free.