Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Tell me winrar does not rule!

Hey all, i am an avid fan on winrar, i just like it alot more then winzip, well, had to extract some archives today, and had i think about 29 of em all at the same time extracting on a server with apIII 700 and 512mb of memory and look at winrar go! - each file was about 100- 150 mb.

winrar%20rules.jpg

i know there maybe sone better apps out there, but this does it for me!

Even when i brought them all outta "background" mode, not'n changed!

I have been using Winrar since about version 2.00 beta, and every release makes it better. Even better is Eugene Roshal, the guy who created Winrar, I suggested that he add in ACE extraction support so I wouldn't have to keep around that WinAce extractor for ACE files, the next release did in fact have ACE extraction support. Nice!

Yeah and winzip's multi volume spanning just sux. "Insert disc 1" insert last disc" "insert..." I hate it when you want to put a larger file on floppies. With winrar you can create files on disc and than just copy them to floppies. A while ago I also used arj32 (command line), but now I mostly use winrar.

p. s. the other cool thing is that you can see the directory structure in the archives as in explorer where winzip displays just a list of files.

If your CPU isn't pegged during decompression your decrompressor isn't making proper use of it. I like Winzip better. Winzip has just been around the longest, they've made minute changes every version and so things have just about always been stable. Honorable mention goes to ACDZip for it's intuitive functionality. Most unstable freeware alternative goes to QuickZip smile.

-Christian

Although I must say I do think QuickZip has tons of potential the author just needs to focus on stability for a year instead of functionality. Making it open source would certainly help out in the stability department. QuickZip also supports more file formats than just about every other professional alternative.

-Christian

Here's my order of preference for file level compression utilities:

1. WinRAR

2. PowerArchiver

3. WinACE

4. WinZip

WinZip used to be top in it's field, but it's just been surpassed by some better utilites with more functionality. Anyway, it's my opinion, and you're free to agree or disagree accordingly.

Quote:
If your CPU isn't pegged during decompression your decrompressor isn't making proper use of it. I like Winzip better. Winzip has just been around the longest, they've made minute changes every version and so things have just about always been stable. Honorable mention goes to ACDZip for it's intuitive functionality. Most unstable freeware alternative goes to QuickZip smile.
-Christian
Yes, but decompression can also be affect by a slow

hard drives as well, especially larger files., u can have a p4 2.0 maxed out, but if u got a 5400 rpm HD, it will slow it down alot.

P.S - the drive on that comp are ultra SCSI smile - it takes way less then a minute to extract 1 100mb file. - which to me is good.

i DESPISE! winAce - most useless archiver i think.

I'm not saying WinRar isn't decent, don't get me wrong it seemed like a reasonable archiver, but considering I've used Winzip since Windows 3.1 and know all the settings, I really don't see much point in changing until some seriously better features are offered by one vs. the other.

-Christian

Also the best self extractor isn't from a compression title, it's InnoSetup. Try it you'll see what I mean. You can have your own Icon, you can specifiy where the files go, and no matter how stupid the user is on the other end you can make it work for them laugh.

-Christian

It does infact....mule. The thing i like about it most though is that when you do a drag/drop type file extraction, it gives you a little progress bar, rather than opening the whole program up on screen. Also winzip gives those stupid license boxes that you have to accept if its not registered before it starts the extract. frown

I should have added this to my last post, but the reason I usually have all of the listed 4 archiving utilities installed at once is so that I can open various installer-wrapped .exe's. I like knowing exactly what's in there, even more so if I'm unsure of the file origin.

Winrar's self extraction option is quite good too, you can load in a custom icon for exe, specify where the files will extract into, plus you can specify whether or not to run a program after the extraction like a setup.exe, you can even have some files deleted afterward. In addition, you can also customize the EXE extraction screen by typing in a message, "This self-extracting file contains, Quake III 1.6 Patch" or something to that effect.

On a side note, Adamvjackson, you have got to be the fastest guy to get to around 400+ posts seeing how you joined the forum in August 2002, wow 3 months! Plus its was only August 26, and now its October 24, so really its been only 2 months, even more impressive! smile

Heh heh I guess it was the 2 months I was out of work... In case anyone was wondering, I haven't been around as much since I got a full time job now...

WinRAR is da bomb, baby. It's fast and light, yet handles very, very large extractions in single and multi-file compressions (usually ISOs and large AVI/MPG files in my case). It also makes archives that work smoothly between Windows and Linux, albeit RAR for Linux might take a bit of getting used to for some people.

Good grief Adam are you unemployed or do you just not work while you're at work?

As for the shareware screen on Winzip it's only 30 bucks and you own it for life, no upgrades, no rebates, no hassles. The only time I see that screen is when I'm in a lab otherwise I'll have already registered it.

-Christian

Prefer winrar anyway laugh

Would just rather buy that, but its not really very annoying so i havent got round to it yet wink

I doubt the registration deal is as good as Winzip's? Is it? Most companies aren't that decent smile.

-Christian

I think winrars is you buy it for $29.99 or whatever, and then you just get that version, and you have to pay for upgrades. (I might be wrong on this).

But as i said its not as annoying as winzip is, as far as bugging you to register smile I really should probably register it but cant atm frown

You know if you have a VB or MS C++ you can just use sendkeys on that shareware dialog and you'd never ever have to see it smile.

-Christian

Ya I know it's not the most ethical thing in the world. In fact I've registered my Winzip, which is what I use. However the mischevious litle child in me likes to crack shareware and trials. It's a challenge if you will, but please don't send me apps and ask me to crack them. I rarely do it, and I only do it for myself.

Quote:
Good grief Adam are you unemployed or do you just not work while you're at work?

Well, I am usually quite busy at work, but I still try to take a few moments from time to time to stop in and see whats new...