Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chudy

Q3/UT video and input problems

Hi all,

I've been having problems with my machine lately.....

to describe it quickly it's a p2-500, 256megs ram, viper v770 tnt2 video card running 3.6.5 drivers, aureal vortex1 sound card (8820 chip)...win2k pro 2195

i just started playing q3 and ut (finally got time over christmass break) whenever i play Quake3 (only games i play anyways) the screen freezes up, pauses for a few seconds and then resumes regular play,and it keeps on doing it sometimes for like half a minute! freezing and unfreezing.... the only thing that is refreshing during the screen when it freezez up is the shield and helth points...weird, i tried 3.5.2 drivers and same problem arises.....i even tried changing sound cards....

now for UT it plays normal to a point and then after usually approximately 5-15 minutes i loose all input controls (mouse and keyboard) but i can see the game playing out normally, bots move around, kill me and stuff like that...the only way out of that is to kill the ut.exe process from task manager....i am just greatly puzzled, any hints or ideas? thanks alot!!

-Chudy

For Q3A use

/cg_draw3dicons 0

/vid_restart

and restart. If you look closly, you'l see that the screen continues to update, but only in the area immediately around the skull icon at the bottom of the screen! This fixes it.

Don't know about UT - are you overclocking the TNT? Using D3D or OpenGL? The OpenGL driver that shipped with 3.52 is the last one that worked reasonably - check the other messages for what to do...