Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravnos

Win2k, Forsaken 1.01 and DirectX

I have a problem with Forsaken, i updated it to version 1.01 and now

it wants me to install directx 6.0 although i have directx 8.1

what shall I do?

Woohoo! Forsaken rocked! I used to run it with my SpaceORB constantly. Oh well, in any case, when I installed it in Win2K and WinXP, it just worked. What you might be able to do is try the compatibility tool kit and see if that helps you along. I don't know the link, but if you do a search around here I am sure that it will turn up (try searching with DosFreak as the poster name).

Actually that's just an element of the installation. Dont' worry about it DirectX 6 and higher will do version checking (DX 5 and lower won't) so just click okay and nothing should be overwritten. The Forsaken folks are just making sure their app has the required D3D API 6.0 + installed. Since you have 8.X your all set. If things did happen to get screwy afterwards just re-install DX8.

PS I got Forsaken and an Orb for like 30 -50 bucks in a package deal years ago. However, I didn't like the Orb as much as my keyboard. I think the orb would be fun if everybody else had one that would even the playin field, but I just couldn't give the accuracy and speed of response I'm used to using the ORB. I mainly played Descent II multiplayer in Dos Glide which was excellent. Afterwards, since I usually played at night I would feel as though I was moving around in 3 Dimensional space.

Good Luck and Happy Gaming,

Christian

I still have my Orb (well, 3 of them), and I got my first one with my pre-order of Forsaken as well. There was even a T-shirt that came with it all. I used my MS Sidewinder FFB at first, because the Orb was too hard to control (I later found out it was broken right out of the box, and they sent me another). Later, when I started playing on Kali, a guy I would play with named "Krybaby" got me into using it. Once you mastered the controller, it was easy to dominate the game with it, and triple chording was a snap. BTW, if you want to start using it in Win2K or XP (Spacetec died a while ago and never made NT5 drivers) you can get some being made independently over at Birdman's site:

http://www.planethardware.com/spaceorb/main.html

Hi Clutch,

Thank you very much for the offer, but I sold the thing about a year ago. I love it when users make drivers though. That's the best thing that ever happened to hardware. When user supported drivers exist companies are unabled to force people to buy new hardware, because what they already have is truly adequate.

-Christian