Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Motherboard Problem

I hooked up a GA-7VAX board the other day with an AMD XP 2200+

When I boot it up, nothing displays, nothing runs, just the motherboard and cpu fans, as well as the power supply fan. It runs like this for 3 seconds, then it shuts itself off.

I am thinking it is the processor, and that it is bad.

But what do you think?

I've tried removing some RAM, all RAM, all components, etc. but nothing as worked so far.

When I take out the processor and try to run it, the power supply does run past the 3 seconds, so I know that it isn't that.

Any thoughts?

it was an Asus V7100 GeForce 2 MX 200

Known well enough.

I'll try a few more things, than i'll ditch it.

jdulmage,

What about your Power Management options in the BIOS? And what about those that are in Windows (Power Options)?

Seems like he cant get the thing to boot, let alone get into windows smile

You got any other boards you can try the CPU in?

I tried it on the GA board, and it shuts down after 5 seconds or so.

I tried it on an Asus board and it never shuts down, but it also never puts up a bios screen either.

Can you try a dif cpu in the Gigabyte board? Does the BIOS of the board support XP2200s?

it is a bad cpu, I wasted my money and they won't give me a refund.

Now i'm stuck getting a Duron 1.3 Ghz

Honestly, I'm not shocked.... A lot of online retailers are quite... difficult.... about returning processors. Replace the 'difficult' as you see fit.

:P

laugh

If its broken outta the box then they should replace it, i mean why shoudnt they replace it?

You paid good money for something that doesnt work ;(

Quote:
laugh

If its broken outta the box then they should replace it, i mean why shoudnt they replace it?

You paid good money for something that doesnt work ;(

People do it all the time. Have you ever bought software?

wink

you could probably ship it to AMD yourself and get a replacement from the manufacturer directly. they may chargr you for the shipping.

Hope this is not too late... You are entitled to a replacement by consumer law so long as the fault was not caused by negligence on your part. I imagine this chip has been bought from a fairly small company as larger ones usually have no problem with returned goods.

Often smaller companies will tell you that they won't accept a return because they know that most people will walk away. The best thing you can do is go back and demand a replacement after taking a look at consumer law, being able to quote something directly will often change their minds smile

If they still refuse to give you a replacement just report them to the office of fair trading (or whatever it's called these days) or at least threaten to. Don't let them push you around, you paid good money for the product you purchased!