Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ws6

nt 4 and smtp

Hi, I am working on a older server that is running NT 4. I have installed SP 3 with the NT 4 Option Pack and then SP 4. I am having a problem with the smtp service. It is always getting a error with the smtp service about file not found. I went to MS's site and did a search for it. I found 1 article that told me to move some files from the system32/inet folder to where i have the inet server running. I did that but it didn't help. In the article though it told me to move 1 file that I have been unable to locate. The file is smtp.dll. Does anyone know where I can find this dll? I need to get my smtp server running so that i can reinstall exchange 5.5 on the system (it is a mail server). anyone know of any way to get this to work?

Thanks,

ws-6

Well, it's been a while since I have installed Exchange 5.5, but I could have sworn that had to disable/remove the SMTP service as Exchange provides its own. I just took a look at my 5.5 server, and SMTP is not installed at all. Now, I do know that you have to install the SMTP service for Exchange 2000, as Exchange requires it. So in that case, you would be in the clear. However, I would recommend that you go to SP6 with the latest security roll up, as there have been a *LOT* of fixes since SP4.

hehe, this is my first exchange 5.5 box that i have done (i admin 6 other exchange 2k and a exchange 2k cluster). i just finished installing sp6a (i hadn't got that far yet when i first wrote the message). i think i found the problem though. i used regedit to look at the registry setting for the services and found that they where looking at the default locations instead of where i installed them to. I fixed that. also i found that there was 2 files it needed in the system32 directory that i had to also manually move. once i did all this the smtp work fine. now i just have to figure out how to setup exchange 5.5 :P

Installing Exchange 5.5 is fairly easy if you've worked with Exchange 2000, just remember to disable/remove SMTP or you will be prompted with an error that another service has taken control over SMTP on that box. You can also run the optimizer (I can't remember the specifics, but it should give you one shot right after install to run it) to set the cap on used memory (good idea to do this, or else it will gobble up all available memory and while it's "supposed" to release it when asked, it rarely does) and then move the DBs to different partitions/drives.

hmm, i installed exchange with smtp running and have never got a error. once i fixed the smtp service launch though the email server works fine. oh well. now i just need to find all the security patches for iis 4 and nt 4 sp6a.

ws-6

Quote:
it will gobble up all available memory and while it's "supposed" to release it when asked, it rarely does

That sounds like NT4 Server in general laugh

Back when I used it, it would start out at about 34Mb and then gradually continued to expand until it reached something like 50-odd (which is where I'd step in and reboot the damn thing). That, and the promise of reducing my reliance on 9x, were what originally made me jump at Windows 2000.