Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Violence and Video Games

Here's a link to an article over at Do It Yourself Games, this guy really hates video games. Here's a quip I took from FiringSquad.

DIYG: A lot of people would argue that the difference there is that video games have never directly killed somebody.

DG: Yeah. [censored]ography has never directly killed somebody. And really [censored]ography is one of the analogies. And the truth is that [censored] has a healthy place is most peoples' lives.

You just saw me training a bunch of law enforcement. I train military, I train special ops [personnel]. There's no doubt in their mind, absolutely no doubt, that the training they need to get, need to give, in order to enable their soldiers and cops to kill in combat is being done in the video games industry. They know it, there's no question, there's no doubt. There's absolutely no doubt. So saying that they've never actively killed anybody is kind of like the gun industry saying, “Guns don't kill people, people kill people.”

You need three things to kill people. You need a weapon, you need the skill, and you need the will to kill. Video games provide two out of the three.

Source: http://www.firingsquad.com

this argument will go on FOREVER!!

and it all goes back to PARENTS! - parents should be monitoring what their children play in their home and if all parents did this in stead of letting their Xbox , or ps2 babysit! parents should be taking care of their kids better.

i have been playing video games for about 12 years and i have never had the urge to kill someone.

SO i guess that throws their theory out the window.

Kids who murder - already have personal issue and it is not the game, likely with out the game they would have done it anyways.

Seen it on t.v or from another person doing it, so don't blame video games for it all!

hell, look @ bush - how many kids now want to go out and kill an iraq'n person? Oh but it is okay to show war on t.v!

faq that!

I do take issue with kids playing games like GTA3

I think games that glorify mindless violence certainly do not help.

Quote:
You need three things to kill people. You need a weapon, you need the skill, and you need the will to kill. Video games provide two out of the three.

1. www.dictionary.com

"n 1: weaponry used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon" [syn: arm, weapon system] 2: a means of persuading or arguing; "he used all his conversational weapons" [syn: artillery]"

Therefore ANY device used to fight or hunt. Be it a sword or a pencil. ANYTHING can and most likely has been used as a weapon.

2. "Skill" You do not NEED skill to kill. Skill in killing is just like having a skill at writing. You do not need to be skilled to write. You can still write. Therefore you can still kill without skill. It happens every day.

3. "Will to Kill". Video games do not provide "will". "Will" comes from the mind. Unless there is some mind control subliminal messaging going on here (which has never been proven sufficiently). Then any "will to kill" is developed by the person who kill's.

Yawn. Stop browsing crappy websites. smile

You shouldn't blame the games. In countries where people killed people before (e.g. USA) the killing goes on. In europe there are not so many game based kills (I can remember one in Germany). This individuals would kill sooner or later. If there were no games they would find other ways to train. The problem most countries got is that everyone can get (Buy) weapons.

But then again we have to kill eachother or the place will get too crowded laugh

And yes my humor is sick laugh

Quote:

Yawn. Stop browsing crappy websites. smile

It was at FiringSquad which had a link to DIYG, which I agree is a very crappy website, the first.....and last time I go there.

I think the last lot of research into the matter went something along the lines of: "Games don't turn people into killers, but what it does do is affect those that are susceptible..."

The key word here is "susceptible"...if they weren't affected by games, they would be affected by something else such as TV, movies, magazines...

Unfortunately, games are misunderstood by the type of person that makes these kind of sweeping statements ("Games kill") - and, as far as these people are concerned, if they don't understand it, it must be evil.

You just can't argue with that kind of mindset, it's best just to ignore them - sooner or later, something else will come along for them to pick on...

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth...

AndyF

Quote:

hell, look @ bush - how many kids now want to go out and kill an iraq'n person? Oh but it is okay to show war on t.v!

I can't say I know a single person that wants to run out and kill Iraqis, except MAYBE Saddam Hussein himself. In fact, pretty much everyone I know feels bad for the Iraqi people that they have to live under a Stalinist dictator. NO ONE that I know would cry if he caught a bullet. I would also say I know a lot of different types of people, too, with varying political and social beliefs.

I've also played videogames since I was small, and I haven't even been in a fight since my freshman year of high school. I'm 32 now.

"DG." I can tell without even going to the site that the moron in question is David Grossman, anti-videogame fanatic extraordinaire. I'm still waiting for him to explain how clicking a mouse is comparable to squeezing a trigger. (Of course, he won't EVER do that. Don't confuse the issue with logic!) Every time I hear this arseclown whine about how Quake is going to turn every teenager into Dylan Klebold, I just keep one thing in mind:

He's trying to sell his books.