Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

XP connecting to 2000 Share

Hi, wonder is someone can help. Got a Windows 2000 machine acting as a simple file server, connected to a hub...inturn the hub is connected to a DSL Router which supplies DHCP for the network.

4 XP machines are connected to the hub, all of which can see each other. From 3 of the XP machines I can connect to the Windows 2000 machine using the 2000 administrator username and password, and another user setup on the 2000 machine.

From one of the XP machines it eractically doesnt allow access to the 2000 machine using either username. When it doesnt allow access I can go to one of the other XP machines and connect easily using the administrator user.

Some further info on this... Im logged on to my XP machine as administrator, no password. From my machine I can connect to the Windows 2000 machine no problem, without entering any password or username to access it, even after rebooting my machine etc.

On the Windows 2000 machine I choose not to require any password or username for people to connect to it.

Yet when I just tired accessing it from another XP machine it asked for a username and password. I entered the Windows 2000 administrator password and it connected fine.

This doesnt work on the other problem XP machine, it asks for a password but doesnt accept the 2000 administrator password.

try to make a user to win2000 with the user name and password of winxp machine...