Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonny

Burning in win2k

I have basically wrecked 10 cd's since I installed win2k. I dont want to torch anymore. Whats the deal? I got the aspi update. The only iso that I have been able to burn is one that I tried to test with eazy cd and it burned it!! Does anybody have a recommendation for which program to use to burn iso's in win2k?

I use EasyCD4 and WinCDR3.7d under Win2K build 2195 with no problem whatsoever - both my CD-ROM and CD-RW are SCSI...

CDR-WIN 3.8a, Nero 4.0.7.5, FireBurner ???,

EasyCD Creator 4.01 works sometimes... Workes well for a friend of mine.. the last one depends on the burner.

Latest version of Cdrwin always worked for me.

------------------

-BeTa2K

I agree with Igor, cdrwin 3.8a and nero 4.0.7.5 with the latest adaptec aspi(4.6) installed and burning is flawless. Ez cd creator tended to cause me more problems than anything.

I finally got cdrwin working. I figured out that if there are programs running in the background(cuteftp) chances are it will have trouble writing it.

This is the glory of SMP!

Burn a CD, download another build via FTP, run AIM and Outlook and a couple of browsers AND have distributed.net as a service...

You would think that you would be able to do that. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it worked with all programs off. Doubt it though because I wrecked the same iso twice with cdr-win once with bin-cue format and the other in iso format. Then I decided to shut off everything and try it and it worked.

I regularly burn CDs with Adaptec Easy CD Creater 3.5 w/ all patches and Padus' Disc Jugler without problems. I've been using the same combination with RC1, RC3 and 2195. I've never installed any 3rd party ASPI layer.

I'm using a Panasonic 7502B SCSI attached to an Adaptec AHA-2940.

Are you using reliable CDR media? Lately I've had no problems with Verbatim and Imation (3M). When I first got my CDR I was using a noname brand and had a world of problems.

When I had win98 I burned like 20 cd's and wrecked only 1. It was when I installed win2k. I used fireburner for all my isos. For some reason in win2k I got this stupid error at the very beginning of the burn. Disc juggler just plain pissed me off because it got some error that only allowed it to write at 1x and then wrecked it. frown.gif I guess your right maybe I need a better burner. From now on I dont care how much **** costs I am always going to buy the best when it comes to computer hardware. I have come to realize that crappy hardware is never worth the money you save. **** since yesterday I have already lost $20 dollars!!

I am using EZ CD creator 4. I used CDrwin 3.7d and Ive used Fireburner 1.01 all have worked fine and I got a HP Cd writer plus 8100

I ran into some problems trying to copy a cd off my IDE 16x cdrom. I've done this several times, but recently within Cdrwin, it gives me a "buffer underun". Now, that's a bit odd, meaning my cdrom isn't fast enough to transport data to my scsi Teac 6x cdr?? What's up with that? I've tried this 4 times and got 4 coasters. That is, four coasters with "test only" enabled. Pissed me off. Could some explain why this happens? I had nothing running within the background, all I did is recently updgrade to the latest version of Cdrwin. This gave me the same error in both Win2K and Win95. I burned files off my hdd aok with Cdrwin though. Weird, wacky, stuff. =/

------------------

-BeTa2K

[This message has been edited by BeTa2K (edited 24 December 1999).]

I would really recommend against doing cd to cd copies as it tends to casue the problems you mentioned. In cdrwin you can increase the size of the buffer it uses by allocating space in your ram(max 32mb). Simply make a bin/cue image of the cd and then burn it from your hard drive.

Do you have another device on the same IDE channel as the source CD? That could be causing I/O latency...especially if the swap file, or temp directory are located there...

I also recomend against doing CD to CD copies. If I just want to copy a CD I usually make a temporary image and then burn that. Most programs have an option to use same drive to read and to record. I have found my SCSI CDR which does 12x reads much faster then my 36x IDE CD-ROM. IDE just isn't as fast as SCSI, even ATA-66.

My problem is that sometimes my Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI is in Explorer and sometimes it is not.

I can't burn either way, produces errors.

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI

Adaptec AVA-1505 SCSI Host Adapter PCI

Adaptec Aspi Layer v4.60 (1021)

Adaptec Easy CD Creator Deluxe v4.0 (+ v4.01)

Hmmm...