Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

An internet only machine?

I got a really old computer that's really bad. It has a 75Mhz Pentium, 24MB RAM, sound card, 1MB video card, 15GB, 56k modem and Windows 98. Now I haven't used it for a very long time and I was just planning to use it only for the internet and nothing else. Now I plan to just uninstall everything and just leave Internet Explorer and maybe Acrobat Reader. Would this actually speed up the loading and stuff or should I just reformate the whole thing? Would this computer even be any good for surfing the internet only?

Hmmm, I would recommend at LEAST 32mb of ram.

If you do not plan on upgrading then download 98lite and use the 95 browser.

If you do not want to use 98lite then wipe 98 off of that machine and install Windows 95b.

and the best solution....If you have NT4 then install that and have at least 32mb of ram on that machine and you'll be set for a few more years!

LOL... I just did one like that for my mother ;-)

Best use win95, Opera, and a freeware mail program other than Outlook Express (there are a couple of good ones). IE and Outlook Express are way too bloated. What you want is minimalism here ;-).

Opera has a built in email client. It's a bit awkward to use if you disable the hotlist (which I do since, even at 1024x768, it uses more screen space than I'm willing to give away) and its nothing special but it should be all you really need.