Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Jedi X

I think I screwed something up....

I've been using ACT 2.6 for a long time. I downloaded it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/appexperience/default.asp

Then I saw DosFreak's thread about NFS: High Stakes compatibility patch being hidden here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/compatibility/act.exe

Since I liked NFS: HS better than Porsche Unleashed I downloaded the Toolkit and instaled it. But I made the fatal mistake of not uninstalling ACT 2.6 before I installed that. After that Application Compatibility Administration Tool keeps saying:

"Compatibility Administrator was unable to open the system database", even after I uninstalled both ACTs and installed ACT 2.6 again. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

eek, Don't take old posts out of context. That ACT.exe is ACT v1.1. Released back in August 2000.

I've long since forgotten if that fixes works or not! The HS fixes are in that .INF and they do apply to the registry but I'd have to look back over 'em to verify.

It's possible that the multiple installations of different ACT's messed up your Application Compatibility Database in \Winnt\Apppatch.

You should always backup this directory if you start messing around with ACT's.

IIRC, you need these files in that dir.

acgeneral.dll

aclayers.dll

acspecfc.dll

msimain.sdb

shcmn.dll

slayerui.dll

sysmain.sdb

All files are from SP3 dated 7/22/2002

Just delete all files in your current APPPATCH directory (back it up first!)

and extract these files from SP3 and place 'em in that directory.

Yike! That post really is that old! I guess I should check the dates before I try anything next time. Anyway, thanks DosFreak! ACT 2.6 is back in action! Good thing, too. X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was starting to give me problems laugh

Yeah, I REALLY need to create an article and such but you do that and people start doing things that they shouldn't....It's been in my head for awhile now tho.