Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarianoC

Please, I need help with Geforce2

Hi all

I bought a Geforce2 a couple of months ago, but i could never make it work.

I have a Soyo 6ba+ (i know it´s too old, but i can buy another one now frown ) and i tried installing all kind of drivers but it still hangs up on the Welcome to Windows 2000 screen.

I also tried installing Win98 and WinXP but it´s just the same frown

The really strange thing is that it worked great on Red Hat Linux 8 !!

Please help, i´m really desperate frown

Thanks

Are you overclocking? We you using the accelerated drivers from nVidia on your RH install? Have you updated the BIOS on your mobo?

clutch :

I´m not overclocking.

i update my mobo Bios to the latest version, and when i installed it on RH i was just using the drivers that RH installed when it detected my geforce2.

In windows i tried with the drivers that came with the geforce and then i tried installing the newest drivers, and i also tried with older versions...but it´s always the same

frown

I don't know then bud, I'm not familiar with that board. However, have you tried removing your peripherals and other cards from the system to see if they are contributing to this issue? Maybe an unstable PSU could be causing these issues, and removing the drain by other components could make it stable enough for testing. Do you have a bunch of fans running in it? What about harddrives and CD/DVD drives, do you have several of those? You might want to post the specs of your system for others to look at.

Thanks for your help.

I tried EVERYTHING. Disconected everything but it still doesn´t work.

I have a Pentium III 550 mhz, with a 256 and a 64 MB Dimm (that´s 320 MB of RAM).

CD drive, DVD drive, a SP16 ISA and a Ethernet network.

Hope anyone can help me.

thanks

Unfortunatley your MB is only agp1.0 compilant.

check out http://www.technologyvault.co.uk/geforce...gef&lang=en

Your mobo is not listed there, but you should try to search if anyone got it working. The problem is that hte mobo isn't providing enough power to the geforce. My problem was the same. The board booted and ran ok, but if you tried to play a game it crashed of freezed with a looped sound. You should either get a agp2.0 compatible motherboard (in the link there are a few listed that work) or change the graphic board (voodoo3 or ati radeon) But check if it works before you buy it.

For some mobos there were tweaks to increase agp voltage, but i haven't tried any of this.

Good luck. or better bad luck frown

If you do upgrade your motherboard the most stable would be Intel and the best stability/ feature combination would be an Asus board. Intel boards are the most stable for obvious reasons they make the architecture, they make the CPUs, they make the nics, they make a trillion pieces of good quality hardware that are all compatible with each other. It's a win, win situation for you. Also I used to work at MS in the Windows Consumer Hardware lab and we'd have intel test machines and we'd test out the latest versions of windows for hardware functionality on Intel evaluation boards. I highly recommend getting an Intel, because it releases all the interupts correctly and of course receives the most testing by MS, followed by Asus. Why not get an intel board that comes with a video card as part of the chipset, play whatever games it is you want it to work with and see if it's fast enough. If it isn't then you can buy a video card right away or wait until you can afford something better, since the onboard video card will at least allow you to do more necessary computer operations (e-mail, web, office, etc...)

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn

Good Luck,

Christian

The onboard 845G video sucks so much it makes a black hole look tame in comparison. If you really want onboard video, the only option is nForce. It still won't perform as well as any dedicated solution but it knocks spots off every other integrated solution out there. Of course, thats hardly surprising when you consider video cards are nVidias staple business wink

have you try to install intel inf update?to close the fast write option in bios?

Quote:
The onboard 845G video sucks so much it makes a black hole look tame in comparison.

Proberly doesn't suck as much as my MX200

Well, thanks for all the replies smile

I think the mobo is 2x/1x , and the card should work with it.

I was already thinking about buying the new mobo, but i don´t want one with onboard video because i already have the geforce2 (it´s in a box now frown ).

So, you all recommend Intel ?

I like Intel, and I haven't had to replace any Via mobos (and the nForce ones cost a great deal on their own) recently in favor of Intel units, so that saves me money and time.

The hardest thing is going to find a board now that still supports your processor. I assume it is a slot 1. Also, your problem was the same one I had with my old intel bx board with agp 1.0. Agp 1.0 support 1x and 2x, but like stated above does not give enough power to the card.

Quote:
Not unless you want to end up like the goatse man... Thats the overall effect of paying Intels ridiculous prices.
I'll agree that Intel ain't perfect. However, they're a company and companies are composed of humans so what do you expect. I do like AMD's practices of allowing users to upgrade their CPUs for generations without having to buy a new mobo. However the fact still remains that Intel makes the most stable hardware, with the best drivers, and best developer support. Hell Intel even has their own version of C++ to allow companies to support their processors without having to become experts on their CPUs. The simple fact that Intel has the majority of the market share ensures the best hardware utilization in Games and also the best stability, because more testers will be using Intel based systems than AMD. Furthermore the cost of a particular product isn't paid at the cash register, it's when you take it home and try to get it working and then it sorta works or crashes. When a product doesn't work correctly you have to spend hours, days, weeks, months, etc.. just to get it working that's the true cost of hardware and that's why I avoid generic craption whenever possible. Simply put, Intel is expensive at the register, but you get what you pay for and with Intel you're simply buying more.
-Christian Blackburn

So MarianoC did it work with 1x agp? And the res of you guys are really off topic.

I do favor Intel and I think let the market decide who will win or who is better. The fact is that the best technical solutions aren't always the one that get the biggest market share. So if you got a good enough strategy maybe you could convince people that a viaC3 or via epia is better than intel in what you get for your money.

As long as everybody is happy with what they got at home. A little competition never harmed anyone and nobody wants Intel to become a hardware Micro$oft. smile

Now I'm off topic too. laugh

Quote:
The hardest thing is going to find a board now that still supports your processor. I assume it is a slot 1. Also, your problem was the same one I had with my old intel bx board with agp 1.0. Agp 1.0 support 1x and 2x, but like stated above does not give enough power to the card.

Yep, i know it´s not going to be easy, the processor is slot 1.
But there are mobos with slot1 and agp 4x, i´ll buy one of those...

So MarianoC did it work with 1x agp? And the res of you guys are really off topic.

No, it didn´t work, and obviously, after 1 month of fighting with it, it won´t.

I think that the only solution is buying another mobo.

But if the agp1x is the problem, why does it work in Red Hat 8 ??

And why does it hang up when it tries to use the drivers, but it works fine in 16 colors with the standard windows vga drivers ? ;( ;(

Quote:
But if the agp1x is the problem, why does it work in Red Hat 8 ??

The problem occurs only when the geforce is consuming more power than the mobo can provide. (Playing games that is.) Did you try to play any games under redhat 8?

Standard vga drivers do not include any 3d... and therefore the card doesn't consume that much power.

No, i didn´t try to play any games in Red Hat 8.

So, is it trying to use more power just when it starts using Nvidia drivers ? ;(

Sorry bout the F**ked up quote.

I only had problems when installing drivers on via chipset, when I tried to install the graphic drivers before installing via4in1 drivers.

Wich version of windows are you running?

Windows 2000.

But i also tried with Windows 98 Sec Edition and Windows XP, and it always crashes when trying to use the Nvidia drivers...

Maybe when installing drivers it does test the board and that may be too much.

On my system I managed to play quake3 for a few seconds before it blocked.

Did you test the geforce on any other board?

Quote:
As long as everybody is happy with what they got at home. A little competition never harmed anyone and nobody wants Intel to become a hardware Micro$oft. smile

Hi Tomay,
I'll agree with that. I like competition too, I just choose to "bend it over" sometimes with both Intel and Microsoft smile.

Why not just upgarde your CPU too? What a waste of money, and selective power. An old mobo costs almost as much as new good one so why not get something new and slap a new CPU on it too? Let slot1 die please smile Trust me you'll never miss it once you see Sol.exe load on that P4 2GHZ! laugh
-Christian