Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Saving Windows settings for a new install of 2k.

Can the file 'ntuser.dat' be saved and replace the same file in a new install of 2k so I don't have to redo all the Windows settings? I assume that is the correct file.

What is the difference between the file in the root directory and the one under my user name in Documents and Settings?

not advisable but u can take some of the settings (registry keys) and make a merge file so u can add your settings

for that to work u must have the same user name

thats what i do

2nd question

hkey_local_machine

hkey_current _user

this is the way i do it but im sure there is an easier way which im sure our other fine forum contributers will point out.

in regedit open the key u want to keep and right click on it

export it to a file.

i always keep my explorer root and explorer advanced settings

the file will be a .reg

right click and EDIT... dont doubleclick or merge

then remove the settings u dont want on the new system

then after u install the new system doubleclick the saved file and it will transfer all the settings.

please be careful and practice if u arent very familier with these things because i am not aware of any way to undo a registry merge other than to restore a backup... so make backups

I personally set up one account as I want it, then copy that profile (System>User Profiles) to the "Default User" folder under Documents & Settings - making sure to back it up first "just in case" of course smile

Works for me....

Quote:
I personally set up one account as I want it, then copy that profile (System>User Profiles) to the "Default User" folder under Documents & Settings - making sure to back it up first "just in case" of course smile

Works for me....
That would be ok to create another user on the same computer without re-installing the O/S, but how could that work on a new install on another computer or even the same computer from scratch.

I'm talking about re-installing 2k on the same box without spending a hour or so doing all the tweaking on Window size, color, font, position, and the other dozens and dozens of settings that make a customized Windows install.

Videobruce, this is slightly OT, but here's a recommendation I have to add to your custom .reg settings:

-Start cmd.reg-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]

"CompletionChar"=dword:00000009

-End cmd.reg-

This will enable autocomplete at the command prompt, by pressing 'TAB'. Give it a shot, it's really useful for long pathnames.

adamvjackson: two things;

what does OT mean?

and I really don't understand your post regarding my problem since it doesn't have anything to do with long pathnames!