Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Master

Futuristic 3D Desktops of tomorrow, here today...

Quote:
That's what I remember DOS, System34/36/38, & Unix character mode users saying about Windows & Macs back in the early 90's & late 80's...

80's & early 90's?? They still think so.. and to be honest they're partly right.
But it all really depends on defenition of the user and the workspace..

Another thing, Windows & Macs have integrated desktops and this is in no way the same.. So, let's just say that for an average skilled user this would be a waste of HD & memory space.

And the whole idea of a 3D navigational system is really old, for instance, Packard Bell supplies its Navigator for years now..

Sorry but "switching desktop" Ala' *nix or Windows XP is the future.

Most of the users I have seen actually like to use their desktop space for their pictures, instead of using it for icons.

I like my desktop Black with no pictures (distracting). CLI,Quicklaunch buttons, shortcut keys, and of course the Start button. I don't use desktop switching much since I have dual-monitors and use 2000 at work mostly but on my *nix machines I love to switch desktop. The interface shown above just seems like a waste of screen real estate and annoying.

What I've been doing for awhile is displaying computer statics on the desktop which is alot more interesting to me. Devoting an entire desktop to access to the system just seems uneeded and wasteful on resources.

I've noticed that M$ seems to be devoting more into glossy interface design than functional interfaces. If they wish to keep their customers they NEED to do as *nix does. Multiple interfaces with some as "pretty" as you want them but other interfaces that are streamlined and functional for REAL users. (Those who use their computers more than the ones who use it 1 or 2 a week)

I run Gentoo linux with Fluxbox almost exclusively at home now, and I would have to agree with DosFreak on using multiple desktops and/or switching them. I have 4 that I use, and I scroll through them with the scroll wheel on my mouse. Here's my current laptop config:

screencap-natm-sm.jpg

Very simple and clean.

laugh Mabye I'll reconsider my blank desktop habits. laugh

NOOO!! Human......nature....must....fight....it..... wink

Gonna download that 3DNA prog and give it a look tommorow. Always interested in an improvement but I really don't see how what I do can be improved by this prog. Just by reading and looking at the pics, the Windows Start Bar and the desktop devoted to one pic seems the easiest non distracting most efficient desktop for me and my users.

Quote:
"We experience the world in 3D; why not interact with our applications the same way?"

-- Tim Chambers - General Manager and Vice President Graphics Products Division - STMicroelectronics

We experience the world in 3D? 8) wink

Quote:
(...) he favors the Unix version of the program in character mode vs. the Windows one because of stability!

Exactly!! And not to mention security..
By the way, it doesn't have to be "in character mode" wink
Quote:
However, another member of my family, my nephew (relative computer noob/rookie, but learning fast) stated to me upon seeing these 3d desktops: "Now, that looks like the real world is cool, & is easy to understand fast & navigate!"

This is true.. It's easy and fast to understand and navigate.. But the more you know about your system, the more control you want. And, sadly enough, I don't think 3D desktops would give you much control.
On the other side, this is not such a bad idea.. Especially for Linux. This would really help.. let's say.. a grandpa or a grandma who doesn't even understand how Windows "works".
Quote:

Quote:
And the whole idea of a 3D navigational system is really old, for instance, Packard Bell supplies its Navigator for years now..

Heard of it, never used it... I take it it is like that?

It was (a couple of years ago anyway) kind of like your first screenshot.
Quote:
I've noticed that M$ seems to be devoting more into glossy interface design than functional interfaces. If they wish to keep their customers they NEED to do as *nix does. Multiple interfaces with some as "pretty" as you want them but other interfaces that are streamlined and functional for REAL users. (Those who use their computers more than the ones who use it 1 or 2 a week)

You've got it right, though, this is not the only thing they need to do.. What Windows really needs is permissions, permissions and once again permissions!!

Well, just messed around with the Desktop Manager powertoy.

Removed the XP requirement and installed it on 2000.

The option to enable Desktop Manager appears in the Taskbar but the program will not enable. Took a look at the dependencies and tried switching the .dll's with the XP versions but once progs start getting into the ADVAPI,Kernel32 realm your outta luck. frown

Hi Guys,

I know this is slightly off topic, but who cares nobody ever stays on topic anyways smile. Who is that gorgeous hottie on your desktop? I used to have Jennifer Lopez on my desktop and I couldn't get any work done, but perhaps I could put a picture of that gal somewhere else in the house smile.

Thanks,

Christian

That's a screencap of "Not Another Teen Movie", and I don't know what her name is but the character is the sister of the head jock in the movie. The screencap was taken in Xine.

yeah - i could see it becoming annoying if u alwayy have to "move" to an area on your dekstop simply to get access to something.

it looks good and all, but the 2d style is MUCH more effiecient and / or switching to multiple desktops.

Hi Clutch,

Thanks for letting me know your opinion of the movie. I will watch it nonetheless, if for no other reason than I like comedies and that chick off the charts hot smile. They need to put a better picture of her in the publicity photos. The ones they have are only okay and don't do her justice. I will try to get a copy of the movie on KaZaA based on the IMDB rating it doesn't sound like it's worth the rental fee or the trip smile.

Adios Amigo,

Christian