Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sentme_mail

outlook express problem

hi,

i have 3 email accounts configured in outlook express.

recently when i tried to reply mails from senders i found that the "From:" field does not reflect the email address that was sent to me by the sender, causing me to reply mails using the wrong email address.

has anybody encountered this problem before?

thanks

Hi. No I've never had that problem. What version of Outlook Express are you using? I have used just about every version between 4.0 Sp1 and 5.5 Sp2. Perhaps newer versions of IE have a default outgoing e-mail address. Or if you set your reply value to a different address Outlook Express may be accomo[censored] those settings a little too well to and causing it to change the from address to your Reply-to setting. When you're writing an e-mail there's a from drop down list box just below the Toolbar. Before you send something out just make sure it's coming from the right address. If the behavior is just too dog gone annoying then revert back to a previous version of Outlook Express (may not be possible if you're using WinXP).

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn

Hi sentme_mail,

One would have to assume that the problem is related to IE 6. Personally I let everyone else test Microsoft's titles for them and wait until the next version is already out before adopting the previous version. So I won't be using IE 6 until until IE 7 comes out. I'm happy with IE 5.5 for now. If there are better features in IE6 or Outlook Express 6 I simply don't know what I'm missing, nor will I care until v7 is released. That way I can enjoy the features without quite so many bugs.

Good Luck Mon,

Christian

Quote:
(...) I'm happy with IE 5.5 for now.

From personal experiences: 5.5 is just so buggy that.. I just can't find the words.. I did find 5.0 more stable than 5.5.

Hi Nebulous,

My question for you would be what version vs what version. 5.0 is on SP3 and 5.5 is still on Sp2. Are we comparing apples to oranges? Although I will admit that 5.5 is probably less stable than 5.0 simply because there's more code and more chaos accordingly. If you tried anything less than the latest 5.5 Sp2 perhaps you never really experienced 5.5. As you read above I wait until the end of release cycles rather than the beginning. I also haven't noticed any serious stability problems. When/where is it crashing for you? If you can give me exact the repro steps to generate the crash I'm happy to try them on my system and see if the problem isn't endemic to your computer.

Good Luck Amigo,

Christian

Nebulous,

Sometimes you can have a corrupt cache, favorites, or cookies and the next version might trip on it more than the last. Did you start with a clean copy? or move the cookies, cache, and favorites away temporarily for diagnostic purposes?

-Christian

Ok, first of all it's nebulus, like in an old zx80 game, there's one on palm and I think I saw something for PC too. No offence taken wink

I'm not sure what version I had, my guess would be SP1 with some additional fixes, but wouldn't say for sure. Currently have installed IE6 SP1, my network provider required 5.5 and up.. So when I was installing some drivers my network provider had provided, 5.5 was installed without even asking me.. Nicely programmed ;(. And with mine 5.5 experiences I thought it might be a good idea to install 6 instead of using 5.5. Anyhow, I hardly use IE. Switched to another browser (Mozilla) a long time ago, and find it to be more stable and bug-free.

Hi Nebulus,

I thought I mispelled that when I was writing it, but thought about other things and didn't check immediately. smile. Well I'm glad you have a browser that you feel is working for you. I'm also suprised that you find Mozilla more stable, but it may very well be. It's also good that the browser you like is freeware.

Happy Mozilla-ing.

-Christian

Quote:
I'm also suprised that you find Mozilla more stable, but it may very well be.

Well.. comparing to my 5.5.. yes, most definitely yes smile
Quote:
It's also good that the browser you like is freeware.

Not to mention it's an open-source browser. Plus, you can follow through the developement, what I find to be a very useful thing.

Hi Nebulus,

Yes the open source part is cool, but I'm a VB programmer and so it's not really that big of deal for me since I hardly know a lick of C. The C I know would be API Calls and logic manipulation, not syntax. For example I understand the flow of looping code, but I wouldn't know how to do it in C. For the most part that limits me to being able to change values, paths, and strings, all of which aren't terribly exciting. Unless I wanted to change a keyboard shortcut in a program and that was the only way smile.

So I take it you are able to read the source.

Yes it is cool to get a more honest and complete report of what the new features are/aren't in a build.

Cheers,

Christian

Granted if I really cared, I could just sit there and step through the code until I understood it, but who has time for that? I'd must rather take an introductory C programming course and then just play around from there. That's the same thing I did with VB. I've only had one VB programming class and I've been coding in VB for 5 years now. I can do plenty that most professionals can't, and I'm sure many of them could say the same about me.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi nebulus,

Thanks for sending me the link. I still think I would be more likely to take a class, but it's nice to know that there is a free book out there. Nonetheless I'll add it to my C++ bookmarks so that if I'm ever so inclined I can take a look.

-Christian