Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Technique

Windows Media Player Series 9 FINAL - LINK HERE

Installed here, on Windows 2000, fine. My one complaint from RC (2926) still remains, if I am playing an MP3, and double-click on a different MP3 in explorer, there's a few seconds where media player loops the last 1/2 second of the currently playing MP3. Not a big deal, but a pain.

Quote:
Installed here, on Windows 2000, fine. My one complaint from RC (2926) still remains, if I am playing an MP3, and double-click on a different MP3 in explorer, there's a few seconds where media player loops the last 1/2 second of the currently playing MP3. Not a big deal, but a pain.

Ya, I actually use winamp V2.81 for playing MP3s. I've never had good luck with mp3s in media player and I think winamp V3.X is too bloated...

Winamp 2.81 is definitely the best Mp3 player out there. Winamp3 would continue to play cds and mp3's after I closed the program, which is not something I liked very much wink. Windows Media Player I use hardly ever.

As a follow-up to my last post, I discovered something interesting... If I have the player paused, and skip ahead to the next track, it changes nearly instantly, so it appears to hang only while changing tracks during playback.

Also, isn't Winamp 3 free anyway, APK?

laugh

Sorry, I had to call you on that one...

I agree 100%... I know that MS will sometimes send you a final release product if you find a bug in one of the betas/RCs.

Quote:
Winamp 2.81 is definitely the best Mp3 player out there.

I disagree, the decoding quality of Winamp 2.x is sh*t compared to other media players. The only good use for Winamp 2.x is that it can play a file which is locked (ie downloading a file from Kazaa). Winamp 2.x can play the file while it downlaods and I can try to assess the quality of the file so I don't waste my time.

Winamp 3 is slow to use as the interface is sooooo slow even on modern systems. But the decoding quality is an improvement over 2.x.

I use Windows Media Player 9 now. It's always been my player of choice from the 6.x days. It's playback quality is the best especially with the 7.x and later versions. People might argue that it uses too many resources to playback. But IMHO any half decent system can handle the alighty higher load, after all the better playback quality is worth it.

Quote:
if I am playing an MP3, and double-click on a different MP3 in explorer, there's a few seconds where media player loops the last 1/2 second of the currently playing MP3. Not a big deal, but a pain.

Are you using a VIA chipset? Sound problems like crackling, etc seem to appear on some VIA chipsets.

Nope, no via here, I have a P4 2.26GHz Intel 845-E based system... It's not crackling, and all the latest drivers have been installed.

Even with the "top rated" DSP plugin Winamp2x doesn't have a patch on Winamp3 sound quality.

Even scratchy old classical mp3s sound far improved in WA3 as compared to WA2.

The interface speed however, and lesser configurability are somewhat more interesting.

Quote:
Have anything like the NIMO codec pack. That plays hell with a lot of stuff audio related.

Nothing like that at all... I'll be doing a clean install here shortly, so I'll see if playback performance is at all changed.

Quote:

Ya, I actually use winamp V2.81 for playing MP3s. I've never had good luck with mp3s in media player and I think winamp V3.X is too bloated...

same, media player seems to download a new codec for almost every diff mp3 i play, where as winamp, don't need any new ones downloaded, is a pain in the arse really.

I use media player for the odd movie that powerDVD won't keep the aspect ratio for, and that is about it!

Quote:
Quote:
As a follow-up to my last post, I discovered something interesting... If I have the player paused, and skip ahead to the next track, it changes nearly instantly, so it appears to hang only while changing tracks during playback.

Also, isn't Winamp 3 free anyway, APK?

laugh

Sorry, I had to call you on that one...

Probably is...

I have not used it very much here, I am a WMP user.

* Whoever found that "error" (of tunes still playing from WinAmp) really ought to write them on it anyhow, believe me...

smile

(It really is VERY easy to fix up, just some code in either the Form.close event, or the Form.Destroy event of the main form/screen of WinAmp!)

APK

i use winamp 3 for a few hours a day, and never had this issue!!!!!!!!! and i am always switching tracks and stuff that i prob shouldnt, i close winamp, music is gone!