Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytezboy

lock tasbar in win2000

Is there a way to lock the taskbar in win2000 like in WinXP. I installed IE 6.0 SP1 using service pack 3. Anyone know of a way?

Hi BytezBoyz,

I am not aware of one. There might be a freeware application that does that already. I don't think it'd be that complicated to write. Just a little basic mathematics. Although I don't know whether you'd have to write the mouse code manually or if there are API functions to resize the taskbar.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
Is there a way to lock the taskbar in win2000 like in WinXP. I installed IE 6.0 SP1 using service pack 3. Anyone know of a way?

Try: http://is-it-true.org/nt/registry/rtips325.shtml

This 'should' work on any NT/W2K/XP, as the taskbar is tied to IE functions and not persay the OS.

Just tried it on W2K, and, it works as advertised.

It didn't work on mine. Do you guys have to manually add the value by right clicking, new, DWORD value ? I did this and put a value of 0, rebooted and doesn't work ;( I chose Hexidecial for the value? Is that what I'm supposed to do? Thanks.

Can someone upload a win95 registry file with the correct value? I have IE 5.5 and Win2K SP3 and it simply ain't working. My guess is it only works on Windows Me and XP the two OS's that support that option through their interfaces. However, I will admit that often MS includes an "unsupported" feature simply, because they're chicken shits and want to find out what reprocussions if any happen with a particular setting over time. Also I think it may just be bad program management. Perhaps the Taskbar developers need to have more communication with the control panel devs or something. Typical big company nonsense.

-Christian

You almost never see undocumented settings in programs written by one person. They can take care of it, because they know exacty what they did and didn't do. That is what settings need to be included in Options menus.

-Christian

The worst program to configure and or use for that matter has got to be Bochs what a hunk of junk. It has all the promise in the world, but if users can't figure out how to use it, what difference do all the features make?

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

-Christian