Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

email address

I'm curiuos as to why large company uses the dot instead of dash for user email (name.lname@xx.com) Is that a restriction of their web server where the _ is a reserve character? I have friends with emails using the dot scheme.

The RFC's (822 and 2822) allows for both formats, so I don't think there's really an easy answer to this. Maybe just because "." is quicker to type than "-" or "_"?

One thing I didn't know before reading the specs, was that the mailbox name can be quoted, which then allows VERY strange email address. For example, "% Everyone @ NTCompatible is cool! %"@ntcompatible.com could be (by the specs) a valid email address! I've never seen this before though, and I doubt many mail servers actually support it...

Many email servers will give you the extra firstname.lastname in addition to whatever your normal alias is. This is why you see it so often. This mimics the parent domain/child domain relationship of using the "." to define an object or container. Now, as many people are used to seeing that as an optional name/address, admins are simply using that instead of the classic first initial-last name alias.

Clutch, as always, gave a very good explanation. I will now bore you laugh with how to add additional email adresses to multiple users in Exchange 2000.

Here the email address is primarily the UPN (universal principle name), which means your address is your RDN and the domain suffix. RDN being relative distinguished name (jdoe). Domain w/ suffix being mynetwork.com.(jdoe@mynetwork.com) And now you wanted to add johndoe@mynetwork.com to it as well as to your 400 other users.

You would script it using ADSI using examples from ...

www.swynk.com/

www.15seconds.com

www.swinc.com

The properties you would be modifying could be found using ADSI edit (from the win2k support tools) under the Domain Config Container and the attribute for those objects is called proxyAddresses.

You would further add additional child domain listings and even IP address through the Recepient Policies running on the E2K server.