Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mcartwright

Win2000 (re)install

I previously posted re: CD-ROM problems - thanks all for your help but still no joy.

it was suggested to tri a reinstall.

I have the original CD-ROM and went for the 'upgrade' prompt. All was well until the system reboots after the initial bit of the install and prompts for the disc to be inserted in the CD ROM. I can't 'see' the internal D drive but can see an external CD drive (E). Is there a way I can use the E drive to continue?

Or if I go for a clean install will I have the same hurdle>

Does a clean install maintain my existing applications and data?

Thanks for your advise.

Mark

is the external a usb drive?

dont think u can boot from that.

we should figure out why u cant access the internal drive.

u should be able to boot from the internal drive. if u fix that the rest is easy.

Yes the external drive is usb

A copy of my original post (7 Jan - CD-ROM Problems) in the 'hardware' forum may explain my problem.

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if you can help...

I run a Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 with 256MB ram. I have a TEAC 224e internal CD ROm and an external Freecom CDRW via USB.

I 'ran' Roxio CD Creator (Version 5.2.x) and Win2000 (Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 1).

All was well until a hard disc failure required a full re-install (happy days!).

Since then the CDRW (drive E) works fine but although I can 'see' the internal CD (drive D) I can't 'see' or access the files therin (data or audio) via any applications.

I've uninstalled and installed both the D and E drive a few times and reinstalled Roxio a couple of times.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

"

Ok, I'm having a hard time following you, here. Let me recap, to ensure that I understand.

You're trying to reinstall Windows 2000.

You have a laptop with an external CDRW drive, with a USB interface.

When the USB CDRW drive is connected, the internal CD drive will not boot.

Must you perform an upgrade install? What happens if you disconnect the USB drive, and simply boot from the internal CD drive to install your OS from? Do you have the latest BIOS update from Toshiba's web site? Have you checked the boot order??

Correct me if I'm wrong above, as I said, I'm not really clear.

Thanks for your interest.

I run a Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 with 256MB ram. I have a TEAC 224e internal CD ROm and an external Freecom CDRW via USB.

I 'ran' Roxio CD Creator (Version 5.2.x) and Win2000 (Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 1).

All was well until a hard disc failure required a full re-install (happy days!).

Since then the CDRW (drive E) works fine but although I can 'see' the internal CD (drive D) I can't 'see' or access the files therin (data or audio) via any applications.

I've uninstalled and installed both the D and E drive a few times and reinstalled Roxio a couple of times.

Following advice in th 'Hardware' forum, I have reinstalled an ASPI layer from Adaptec and (in desperation) ForceASPI 1.7. ASPICHK now tells me all is, in tis opinion, OK.

I'm pretty sure the internal drive is OK and it's a software issue as, I mentioned in an earlier post, had it working following a Roxio install earlier in this saga (but before the new ASPI layer and ForceASPI).

As it stands now, I can 'see' the drive in all applications but not any of the files therin (data or music).

The suggestion to reinstall windows came from yourself in the Hardware forum.

I really would be grateful for your continued help.

Mark

I don't know if this is significant but I ran a CD and ASPI diagnostic. The following log file was generated - there seems to be an error in the registry counting devices.

Any thoughts?

"BEGIN ASPI Rip system test log 17/01/2003 17:12:00.........

Begin ASPI and CD-CDRom tests

TEST: ASPI Driver test begin

Is NT

Win Version 5.0

OK: Found winaspi.dll 4.6.0

OK: Found wowpost.exe 4.6.0

OK: Found aspi32.sys 4.6.0

OK: Found wnaspi32.dll 4.6.0

OK: Adaptec ASPI Drivers found

TEST: ASPI REGISTRY ENTRIES TEST:

OK: Found [ErrorControl] entry

OK: Found [start] entry

OK: Found [Type] entry

OK: Found [ExcludeMiniports] entry

OK: Passed ASPI Test and Initialise

CD Letter D:

CD Letter E:

CD Name CD-224E-BA 01 00 00 ATAPI

CD ID 1

FAIL: Drive count

2 logical CD drive/s found in windows

1 CD drive device/s found by ASPI

Only IDE and SCSI CD drives can be used for Ripping CD

For NON IDE CD drives (or NON SCSI) use TAR program. "

mcartwright

I'm having the same kind of problems with my laptop after install EAC. Everythings works (including DVD) except CD ROM does not read. I'm not sure how re-install WIN2000 without CD?