Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hipshot

Windows uptime counter resets after like 7v 12h?

Heard that from a friend and I also heard that this was just in the earlier versions of windows 9x, like 95 and 98 (not SE).

Hi HipShot that sounds like it would only be of issue to people running servers which you must be. I've never in my life made it that long without rebooting smile. Also do you know how to get the OS to reveal that? I know one of my utilities will tell me the uptime value, but can you get a it from a command prompt or something in Win2K?

Thanks,

Christian

acctualy Im not to run a server, im just going to test how long I can have my laptop online on irc before it hangs, its up to 7 days now, no slowdown so far...

You can see the time with sisoft sandra application and for example moo.dll, but im sure there are a promt cmd to use to, really dont know it, really would like to know it wink

Too find the uptime simply type systeminfo in a CMD prompt, its nearer the top of the list of rubbish you get from typing this laugh

Quote:
Too find the uptime simply type systeminfo in a CMD prompt, its nearer the top of the list of rubbish you get from typing this laugh

Silly of me, I know that command, just dint remember it when I started the thread...

the Q still stands though, will the counter resets itself after ~7weeks ?

I'm fairly sure it affected WinNT, no idea if it was fixed in Win2k or WinXP though. Windows uptime is stored as a 32-bit number storing the number of milliseconds since it started. This means the maximum length of time it can go up to before resetting is:

(2^32) / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24)

= ~49.7 days

Which is about 7 weeks and 17 hours

The Windows uptime displayed will never reach 50 days. This is a deficiency of Windows, as the GetTickCount call (which is used to determine the uptime) returns the number of milliseconds since Windows was started as a 32-bit unsigned integer. This results in a maximum measurable uptime of 49 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes and 47 seconds.