Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Dare I say....only in America??

Look before I post this message I do want to say that I am not attempting to make light of the subject it is touching.

I feel this was a terrible thing to happen and couldn't wish it upon anybody, but maybe somebody will enlighten me to why the following is happening and under what grounds they think they will succeed?

I guess more importantly what implications it might have for future cases in the US.

This is a story relating to the "Sniper Killings" in the US last year.

As I said above I think that whole affair was terrible and I do hope that those found guilty of the crime are dealt with firmly.

However on the radio a few minutes ago I heard a story.

It was saying that two relatives of two of the victims are taking two places to court and sueing them.

First they are taking the manufacturer of the guns to court.

Secondly they are taking the establishment that sold the said guns to court too.

I am sorry but these cases shouldn't even make it off the ground.

How can you hold the makers of a gun responsible for these killings?

Is this any different to say the relative of a car accident victim taking first Ford to court for making the car and then the dealer to court for selling it?

I'm not on about defective cars at fault, I'm on about a car used to knock somebody down, should the maker of that car find themselves in court?

In the UK people are starting to take people to court over silly things.

There seems to be no such thing as an accident in this world any more.

I do seem to remember that somebody might have a fall in the street, they would get up and say "Oh silly me, I must be more carefull" and walk on, not "Great, how much can I make for this one?"

The UK is getting worse but I still don't think we are in the same league as the US yet.

It can be only a matter of time and if this is the kind of thing we have got to look forward to it really makes me feel a little bit sick.

Something needs to be done about this "blame society" we are fast approaching.

Judges also need to stop awarding crazy sums of money for what are in effect accidents, maybe then people will stop taking anything and everything to a court of law.

Yup it's horrible the way this type of crap happens. The latest "McDonald's food makes me fat" bull is one thing that really pisses me off. Doesn't anyone have a brain in this country? Eat fatty food all your life, you're gonna be a fat ass, buddy! Well, considering that 2+2 can be whatever the hell you feel like too, I guess that's no surprise that they can't come to the conclusion of the original rant here.

If something isn't fair, it's apparently fair game to sue or otherwise suck money from someone who has earned it--sadly an alien concept today, I'm afraid.

Guns can hurt people? Really? I thought they just gave a hug. ;(

First off I want to say I agree with you. I'd like to say one thing about this though

Quote:
How can you hold the makers of a gun responsible for these killings?

Is this any different to say the relative of a car accident victim taking first Ford to court for making the car and then the dealer to court for selling it?

When you use a car as it's designed and intended to be used, you move from one place to another. You might either through accident or intent hurt or even kill another.

When you use a gun as it's designed and intended to be used, you take a life.

Does this mean I support taking the gun manufacturer and dealer to court? Absolutely not. I do question the apparently God given right to own guns we (in America) seem to think we need in this day and age though.

Jim

Quote:
...The latest "McDonald's food makes me fat" bull...

There was a TV program in the UK recently (I didn't see it, I read the TV guide and steered well clear of it!) that had a "scientist" on it claiming that obesity is actually caused by a virus...

Not only do we live in a "blame society", we live in a "blame someone else society".
You eat crap food, you get fat, BUT IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT?
You smoke cigarettes, you get cancer (a fact known for the last 20-30 years), BUT IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT?
You let your kids sit in front of the TV all day, and they grow up with no social skills and brains like mush, BUT IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT?

When I hear things like this, I feel like taking the people and slapping them severely about the face with a wet fish in the hope that maybe they will wake up and take responsibility for their own actions - we do, allegedly, live in a free society!!!

If this kind of thing rouses the same reaction in you as it does in me, can I recommend that you go to your local bookstore and find (and read ;( ) any book by Michael Moore. He's just released a film called "Bowling for Columbine" (haven't seen it yet, as it wasn't "mainstream" enough for my local cinema) which is all about the shootings in Columbine. He's also written several books, the most recent of which is "Stupid White Men", which is certainly an eye-opener! I can't recommend him highly enough

Just my little contribution...
AndyF

Quote:

P.S.=> It'll happen, just a matter of time... & "business cycle" turn-around time! Every other trick in the book will be pulled until then, & once they are all exhausted, then you start seeing those folks at the top having to fire some of their relatives in their "50 VP's to a company title" & that's when it will be striking home for them as well, & that's when changes will start, REAL needed ones, not tricks & illusions... Folks really in control are boards of directors & stock holders (in publicly held companies) & they lost sight I think of the old adage "Sometimes you have to spend money to make money"... apk

In past, many more companies were under the control of individuals whose involvement and commitment to a company, its employees, and, the welfare of all, was a life long endeavor.

Now almost all companies are under the control of stockholders, who are only concerned about the short term profit, and, to hell with the company and its workers ;(

Quote:
Blaming politicians & yes, even "enron type" corporate execs is only the surface... the real fault is in the practices & actions of those at the top: The owners of big business.

In general, I agree with what you're saying, but this brings us full circle and back to the stockholders and the voters who have put all these guys in place, and, keep them there frown

The adage that "you can fool some of the people all of the time' seems to be enough to screw up everybodys day ;(

Also, somewhere here, we all have to start living with a bit of ethicial intregity. How did we all arive at the point where the only reality is the value of a share of stock, and that everything else goes to the crapper

Obviously this is a multi hour discussion... laugh

Quote:
...Also, somewhere here, we all have to start living with a bit of ethicial integrity...

The problem is (and going back to the original topic of discussion) is whose ethics?

All of the arguments between the US & Saddam, Israel & Palestine, Northern Ireland & Eire, WW2 (and many more, throughout history, right up till today) all boil down to the following:

"My God is better than your God"

The problem being, of course, that whichever side you're on, you think your God is the best :x It's much easier being an atheist laugh

Philosophy over. I've got the rest of a very nice bottle of wine to drink, and it's a Friday evening - the wrong time to be thinking about all this stuff laugh

AndyF wink

I've just had a quick thought: what's good about this board is that we've all had a very "adult" conversation about a very controversial topic - on other boards, this would have descended into a flame war ages ago.

Just another reason why NTC is the best site on the web smile

AndyF

People don't want to take responsibility for what they do or say, so this is why you see bull$hit like this. However, it's easier to tie up courts indefinately in the US since anyone can file a case for anything. It's pathetic.

Quote:
Quote:
...Also, somewhere here, we all have to start living with a bit of ethicial integrity...

The problem is (and going back to the original topic of discussion) is whose ethics?

You notice Andy, that I said Ethics, and 'NOT', Morals. Ethics being 'a civilized code of behavior between individuals within society'.

That is entirely different from Morals, which can contain religious, ethnic, cultural and all sorts of other problematic behaviors thrown in. ;(

I read somewhere that a couple states passed laws that make the loser in lawsuits pay for all the costs.

Oh indeed it is always the lawyers who win.

I don't know how many of you know about the case surrounding the .biz domain names.

Basically to stop people pre-registering hundreds of them, so there would be plenty to go around and people wouldn't attempt to take "all the best names" the registry in charge of .biz came up with a cunning plan.

Charge everyone $2 for each pre-registration.

That really isn't too much but if you were attempting to pre-register hundreds it would be a bit costly, however your $2 didn't guarantee you getting the domain, every pre-registration was put in a "hat" first name out got the domain.

A few people complained about this, they didn't think it was fair.

In the end they took the case to court claiming this was an illegal lottery.

They won and the registry were forced to refund everybody's $2.

Normal web users loose, all the best .biz domains have gone.

Registry loose a lot, forced to refund for lots of pre-registrations and probably pay court costs.

People who bought case to court get very little, probably just their $2 back for each pre-registration.

Lawyers get big fat fees from all involved.

There is a place for lawyers, namely the bottom of the ocean wearing concrete shoes.