Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kfoelsch

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Hi. I've done some research on running 1830 (the old avlon hill dos game based on the original boardgame) on the net, and some people seem to be able to run it out of the box with no problems. This is only under win XP. I was able to run the game fine under win2k on the same hardware!

Others, like me, have some memory problems. My game crashes, saying it needs at least 2700K of extended memory. Even after configuring the game, giving it a full 16000K of extended memory, it still crashes with the same message. Any ideas? I've seen multiple posts in newsgroups about this, but no one seems to know why the problem happens. Some machines, it's fine. Other machines, no go.

Yes, I tried installing DVSsound as this site recommends, but that didn't help either.

I tried calling microsoft about the issue, but they had no help for me. Supposedly, they gave me a refund shocked

Have you tried Dosbox?

http://dosbox.zophar.net/

Since it was released in 1995 it could be a DPMI game which currently do no work under Dosbox.

As far as the memory, are you sure that you do not mean expanded instead of extended? There is a known problem with NT operating systems and system hardware that eats up the memory ranges needed by NT for EMS.

I tried mucking around with the EMS stuff in the CONFIG.NT file... no go. I even got email from someone who DID have it working under XP, and copied his settings. Again, no go.

Thanks to the suggestion about DOSBOX, I was able to launch the game finally. The problem is now that the game is just absolutely DOG slow (and might be unstable as well). Is there anything I can do about that?

Is this game worth this much effort?

Hell i setup a second box with Win95 to save yourself the trouble.