Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

ISA audio card hangs boot process

I have a Crystal ISA audio card that I have tried in both ISA slots and it hangs the boot process.

I believe I have used the card elsewhere and it worked, but I'm not sure. Do I assume it is bad? Computer boots fine without it.

I'm running 2k on a Soyo BX chipset MB.

Never thought about jumpers. But, no it doesn't. Nice try.

It sees the board, but just hangs at the update ECSD or DMI part.

Not sure where to do that. There is no conflict that I see. It was IRQ 5. I changed the PNP/PCI IRQ to assign to #5 and it changed the card to IRQ 10, but it still hangs.

Hold the phone..................

Eureka............

Stop the presses, etc.

Would you believe on the top line of the PCI/PNP config screen there is a PNP OS installed and it was set to NO by default I believe since I didn't change it. I did set it to yes and all appears to be fine.

I stripped a few boards out of this box since I am getting rid of it, but wanted some kind of audio, When it hung with the card in I reset the bios and it apparently change the PPNP OS to no. Why? I don't know. It also changes the processor to a 200 down from a 450. Soyo's bios on this board isn't that great and this is the last bios they made.

If you have any spare PCI slots just buy a cheap PCI sound card. I've seen Vibra 128 cards for about AUD$30. Don't bother with ISA.

Quote:
If you have any spare PCI slots just buy a cheap PCI sound card. I've seen Vibra 128 cards for about AUD$30. Don't bother with ISA.

Also, for the sake of comparison, a SB16 PCI card runs about US $20.

I understand on using another PCI audio card. BUT:

1. I am getting rid of this, if it was for me it would be different.

2. Audio isn't that important as long as it works halfway decent and it does. If I want real good audio I have a audio system I would listen to.

3. The card does work and I do have 2 other PCI audio cards, but don't want to use them here on a older board.

Quote:
It may get you around losing over 55% of your speed for the CPU timing!
Ok, you lost me, loosing half your speed on timing??

The problem with the 200 vs 450 speed of the processor was with this board long before this card was added. Doesn't have anything to do with the card. It's a bios problem. I can change the bus/clock speed to what it should be for the processor ok.

Sorry you misunderstood.