Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

Windows .NET RC2, I need some help

Hello there!

I am kinda new with Windows .NET and I have some questions:

-(1)-

Is Windows .NET more like Windows 2000 Server or more like Windows XP?

-(2)-

Is it possible to logon more than one user locally?

I mean I can lock the machine like in Windows NT/2000 (so its ususable for other users) but I can't switch users like in Windows XP.

So is it possible to leave one user's session alone and login as a different user?

-(3)-

Is it possible to disconnect and leave your remote session for next access?

I mean when I remotely connect to my .NET server I can't disconnect my session, all I can do is Logoff or Shutdown. So I can't connect to my server, start some tasks and disconnect (what in Windows 2000 server is possible)...

-(4)-

Is it possible to leave internet connection alive when you logoff from .NET server?

Because when I logon to my server, make an internet connection to my DSL provider and when I logoff, the connection is killed.

So if i remotely connect to my server, make an internet connection and because I can't disconnect the session, when I logoff, internet conection is simply killed. So the only way to leave my internet connection alive is to logon *locally* to my server, make a connection and lock the machine. And machine is locally unusable, what is not so good...

-(5)-

Is it really not possible to run VPN server and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) together?

Okay thanks for everyting...

-(1)-

As far as i know it is more based ont Xp nt kernal - it is like Xp pro - but with all the "server options"

Quote:
Quote:

-(1)-

As far as i know it is more based ont Xp nt kernal - it is like Xp pro - but with all the "server options"

But in terms of usage, it is far closer to Win2k than XP. It doesn't even look like XP!

On to another question:
Quote:
-(2)-
Is it possible to logon more than one user locally?

It's a server OS, I can't see why you would need anything like user switching (which, AFAIK, is only available on XP Home anyway). If you can log on to the server, it's as an admin, so I can't see why you'd need to log on as someone else? Another argument goes something along the lines of the fact that, as a server OS, it's not really meant to be used locally...

One of the main differences between Server 2003 & Win2k Server is that 2003 is more secure out of the box: settings are disabled by default rather than being enabled for someone to turn off.

Can't answer the other questions, I haven't really explored Terminal Server yet.

Rgds
AndyF

Going from memory

2. No

3. No .... or not yet .... lookin at a RC 1 box

5. Why run ICS when RRAS with NAT is far superior, especially when you are discussing a server platform