Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atreyu

Columbia

First off, I'm sorry all those astronauts died. It's a sad thing. However, last week, a helicopter crashed in Afghanistan killing 4 soldiers. Another crash occurred on the 24th, killing another 4 soldiers.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/central/01/30/helicopter.crash/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/01/24/helicopters.crash.ap/index.html

I guess I'm wondering what separates these astronauts from the rest of the fallen. I'm certainly thankful for their services to our nation, as I am the soldiers who have died in combat and training. But good lord, they were traveling into space and back, so why is it such a great surprise that while traveling at 3 times the speed of sound during re-entry the shuttle caught fire and fell apart?

I honor the fallen astronauts as well as every other person who has served our great nation at the cost of their lives.

Since I belong to the military family any loss hits home.

I believe the shuttle tradegy hits home more with most people, because they usually don't associate, the SHuttle missions with danger, like they do soldiers. Although we all know this to be incorrect.

Also the shuttle's misson differs to that of an American Soldier, beause they are doing things that benefit all of humanity as oppossed to defending our nation.

Either way I can understand your point, and any loss is met with sorrow

I'm not arguing that it's a tremendous loss... it most certainly is. But putting it into perspective, when a bus flips over and kills 9 people... it makes the headlines for one day, maybe. Nobody talks about it. Are the families of those victims any more fortunate that their deceased relatives were not astronauts?

The risk of dying while riding on a bus is far less than re-entering the Earth's atmosphere at 2400 mph, and should therefore be regarded as more tragic.... in my opinion.

Again, my condolences go to all those affected by Saturday's accident. I just ask that the public not forget to put the event into perspective.

Yeh, I feel terrible about the disaster as well. I imagine most people who follow the Space Programme and world news will. The crew were indeed very special people and we should honour them totally. Seven brave souls. That's not taking it away from other 'everyday' trajedies, though, and from those who die in more conventional military service.

I think the vast majority of people want the Space Programme, as currently planned, to continue.

"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space programme" - Arthur C. Clarke.

I feel as though it must have dealt a serious blow to Israel, as it was the nation's first astronaut. It was their hero...

Yeah, and get this.... the space shuttle broke apart over Palestine, Texas... killing an Israeli.

Kinda ironic doncha think? The middle east, being characteristically superstitious, are considering this a "sign" for things to come. Of course I don't buy into any of that... but it's still amusing.

Oh and as for the speed of re-entry, you're right.... Mach 12 is tons faster than Mach 3. For some reason I was thinking they were only going Mach 3 but that wouldn't make any sense, since our fighter jets can go faster than that without catching fire in much denser air. Basically, multiply my earlier number by 4 and you should end up with roughly Mach 12. ( My number was Mach 3 in 56% humidity and 86 degrees F). laugh

Maybe the Russians should build space shuttles. smile

If a Russian space shuttle blew up the public wouldn't know about it.

The problem is Americans only get patriotic when tragedy hits. I never saw any US Flag bumper stickers until 9-11. Then 9-11 faded and the stickers came down. Now that Columbia is gone, the stickers and flags are back... f^ckin trendy people!!! I have been a fan of the space program (a real fan) since 1986. I have been to Kennedy Space Center Twice, and even sat in one of the shuttles (Explorer I beleive). It is very sad to see people ACT so concerned. In 3 weeks it will be forgotten, again.

I am not referring to ALL you people, just the ones that only jump onto the bandwagon when the neighboors do.

BTW The shuttle was at MACH 18 = 12,500 mph, or 18 times the speed of sound. NOT MACH 12 or 3.

Quote:

BTW The shuttle was at MACH 18 = 12,500 mph, or 18 times the speed of sound. NOT MACH 12 or 3.

that is correct.

hmm 2 accidents in 20+ years.... i would hop on the next shuttle tomorrow.
nasa rocks

NASA said that the 2nd most feared "Incident" are the tiny (and not so tiny) particles of space debris that fly around the earth at super speeds. A fleck of paint flying at 20K+ MPH can go through steel! It amazes me that they hardly ever get hit! They strategically orbit the shuttles at angles to which the most vital and volitile parts of the ship are made smaller targets for space debris to hit. I would love to ride...

If there isn't, there will be I'm sure. You can tell that people are getting bored, look at all the stupid reality shows! :x We gotten so bored that we now take entertainment in watching other peoples boring lame scripted lives. I love Ozzy and everything but jeez we see almost everything but him and his fam taking a sh*t! Anna Nicole please stop taking drugs or better yet just drop... I'll stop now...

Guess you could tell I was venting a little... ;(

I love this country too, as I AM an imigrant from Germany. Sometimes I do miss it though. I have noticed some pretty screwed up values here when compared to other countries. But then look at other countries where they only value food and terror. It's not so bad here...

I could not believe that the RAQies were dancing in the street over our loss! How stupid, like the shuttle is a war machine or something... THey just love to hate.

Quote:

I honor the fallen astronauts as well as every other person who has served our great nation at the cost of their lives.

a life is a life and every life is equal - to morn one persons death - we should morn the millions of people who die a day - they may not of affected us - but they affected many others through out their time on earth.

Although millions of people go unoticed by the rest of the world, often due to ignorance of what is occuring in our world as they are too concerned with there front door and there small limited lives instead of opening up some form if information to realize there is a whole world out there that goes beyond your front yard.

This was telvised due to the majority of people who know about the space prorgam.

Frankly - i think a good amount, but DEFINETLY NOT all of the U.S only takes into consideration of issues that directly affect them, as do many other countries - but many other countries also cover WORLD news, not just what affects them directly in some way.

but again, i am sure this occurs in most every country to some degee.

Quote:
The problem is Americans only get patriotic when tragedy hits. I never saw any US Flag bumper stickers until 9-11. Then 9-11 faded and the stickers came down. Now that Columbia is gone, the stickers and flags are back... f^ckin trendy people!!! I have been a fan of the space program (a real fan) since 1986. I have been to Kennedy Space Center Twice, and even sat in one of the shuttles (Explorer I beleive). It is very sad to see people ACT so concerned. In 3 weeks it will be forgotten, again.

Actually it is called moving on in life, if everyone sat and mournd everyday - this would not be a good thing.

Quote:
NASA said that the 2nd most feared "Incident" are the tiny (and not so tiny) particles of space debris that fly around the earth at super speeds. A fleck of paint flying at 20K+ MPH can go through steel! It amazes me that they hardly ever get hit! They strategically orbit the shuttles at angles to which the most vital and volitile parts of the ship are made smaller targets for space debris to hit. I would love to ride...

I was reading up on that the other day, that particles(even smaller then paint chips), that can dissplace atoms and such, have entered the earth in the artic, and gone right through and exited down by Africa. - they just recently have been finding this occurance by going over old records recorded from sizemographs?(typo?)

was a very interesting read.
people pay their respects and get on with life. Simply because the bumper stickers fall off does not mean that they have forgotten, simply moved on to other things.

Sad thing is, 99 percent of all human suffering, is caused or can be prevented by the rest of us.

Something to think about.....

My point has been again illustrated this week. 21 people died in an incident at a Chicago night club this past weekend. 3 days later, it's no longer a headline... yet the Columbia accident investigation still grabs front page. This is what annoys me.