Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

How to load programs before the shell on NT4?

I've just setup an NT PC and I want to load the defrag utility 'contig.exe' on boot, ie I don't want to have to log in for the program to launch.

I think this is probably a job for a script or a reg hack, but I'd be greatful if someone could walk me through the process step by step as I'm not very familar with scripts.

Atm I have a batch file in the allusers\startup dir:

Shortcut: 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE /C "START /LOW C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONTIG.BAT"'

CONTIG.BAT: 'contig -s c: *.*'

Ideally I would like the program to launch minimised and then exit when its finshed it's run and use as little CPU time as possible (Is there an 'IDLE' priority level on NT4?).

Any tips much appriciated thx

I no longer have NT machines to play with but on 2k and XP the following switches exist for START

/min = Start window minimized

/low = Start in IDLE priority class

Again I dont have NT anymore, but dont shortcut properties as well allow you to start an application minimized, even batch files.

$0.02

If these features werent present, lemme know, I will be more than happy to search through some RKs or freeware apps. smile

Thanks for the wealth of info ppl (especially APK!) I will have a mess about and let you know what happens.

The srvany.exe tool sounds an interesting one I'll give that a go too, as ideally I want to load contig without having to log on 1st.

Is there any way of getting a service to quit once it has done its job? (like the CD Burning service on XP).