Compatible Support Forums
DS3Circuit

Multicast with Ghost

Ok folks, care to tell me what I am doing wrong here.

Ghost Enterprise Server 7.5

Win2k server and clients ... all up to date.

10 meg connections, 3com 1100s, with 100 meg uplinks all leading into a cisco 6500 switch.

Multicast enabled on the 3coms ...

Multicast enabled on the cisco with PIM, and IGMP 2.0 enabled per interface.

I can only receive a maximum (not consistent) of 15 clients to connect to the console ... the other machines, all in the same subnet, cannot ping the ghost server.

So you think its a bandwidth issue? Well I can still surf the web on machines that wont be ghosted, again in the same vlan.

I have been experimenting with Sparse and Dense Mode on the switch and the "time" pruning of the multicast tables.

But basically, what I am asking does anyone have experience with the ghosting of numerous machines in a lab environment and what possible tips and hints that you might throw my way.

Thanks smile

Thanks for the quick response APK

Ummmm

I just installed the adminpak.msi and cant seem to find the snapin .... was it part of the .net or 2k admin tools?

Still havent been able to find the snapin

I have enabled IGMP routing on the supervisor card on the 6500 with dense mode multicast ---- they all lead back to the same RP.

Cross your fingers, this is beginning to become annoying.

Hmm good articles ..... gracias .... something else for me to look at, and to be honest, this is probably one of the few times that I forgot to go and check technet .... Doh!

Quote:
Again, sorry man... last thing I want to do is lead you on a wild goose-chase, that's NOT my intention here, you've helped me & others here too many times already to do you wrong like that!)

No worries man .... I know any help that I receive is good help.

Quote:
believe it... I know the feeling, don't we all in this field with all of its many parts & specializations, at some point? You KNOW it!

With every passing day laugh

Quote:
DS3Circuit wrote:

I have enabled IGMP routing on the supervisor card on the 6500 with dense mode multicast ---- they all lead back to the same RP.

I don't know enough about that man, to really be of any help... other than saying I KNOW I spotted something about multicast in those snapins (at least I think this is where it was, heck, I am nearly SURE of it).

I don't know that much either about configuring multicast and igmp tables ... its all about trials and tribulation wink

Wish it was a license limit of 15 users .... shame I got another 585 licenses to fill.

Hey APK, thanks for the input, it is always welcomed and appreciated !! smile

HA!

Think I finally got it.

I created a virtual loopback adapter as the single RP for all igmp traffic. The table gets built off those IPs and ghost can blast out its image.

The problem I had before was that I made an RP for each interface and the tables were not getting "properly built?"

PITA smile

Quote:
Have you considered, after you test this & find out it is solid, to submit it to a place like www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm OR some other site you go to that is networking oriented as a document that could help others?

* If not, please do it...

Good point, there is little to no documentation upon configuring networks to use ghost multicast.

And yes APK, it was a huge hassel .... the powers that be delegated the migration from Altiris to Ghost and to allow me to figure out how. wink Basically its a 500 lab environment that requires daily updates and upgrades.

Quote:
P.S.=> Heck, if not a website (probably the most easily viewed by most folks especially networking fiends), submit it to Windows .NET magazine! apk

Never thought of anyone actually learning from me .... hmmm maybe I will submit it. Thanks for the ideas man as well ! There is nothing like bouncing ideas off of other qualified people ! smile

Good luck as well if you are in NE USA ... I am watching the snow fall and accumulate as I type. laugh