Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

Stream Ripping

ok so i just get WMP9 on my .NET server

runs great

i was checking out some full albums they got that you can listen to and they sound perfect like CD quality

So i am all like damn i want one of these albumz now there was a recent thread here on stream ripping an one dude was like just plug a mini to min on the out and in. Which will obviosly work but to hell with going analog so i went into the volume properties and hit record what i hear or something like that then went to cool edit hit record then went back to WMP9 and hit play and booya got the digital stream ripping to wav as we speak.

All i can say is that was to god damn easy. Didn't MS think of this?

why can i do this? Something is wrong here i am gettin brand new high quality full albums for free.

i just couldn't beleive how easy it was kindof a no brainer

i am psyched gettin the new GZA album as we speek. Man i love tha wu i can never get tired of this stuff.

Quote:
what are your thoughts & feelings thusfar on .NET/Windows Server 2003?

win 2k3 iz the best ever
i allways run the server version cause i develop all sorts of stuff and the 10 connection limit of pro really kills me espcially if the clients don't allways drop the connection. I just love using .NET cause it has all the winxp goodies but has everything shut off/locked down by default. You just turn on what you need and you are jammin.

-Jeff

being able to record streaming data is not a bug. there is no protection for it. The audio card manufacturers will have to cooperate and have their drivers themselves refuse to record copyrioghted works. This is what m$ is working on with paladium. You won't be able to stream protected content, unless the audio driver is signed by microsoft, and it cant be signed unless it is programmed to work with the protection schemes. (BTW, I have used screen/sound capture programs to record streaming video files too. Capured to uncompressed, no loss of quality, then recompressed offline, for a minor hit in quality.

And you say "WHy didn't microsoft think of this.."

Well, they have. For now they are hoping most are not tech savvy enought to do it, not that there's anything they can do about it, anyways until somehitng like paladium is out.

Quote:
Fill out a bug report and send to MS. wink

bauauaahhah! - yeah, and be responsible for alot of pissed of people who have also figured this out?

lol

i grabbed streamripper for winamp - as it labels the mp3 with the original tags and all (song name and artist! and will even tell u if a song is not complete or not, i have already grabbed about 196 mp3s, about 9 of them 70+mb mixes. It also ends when a song ends, so u don't end up with one huge long wav file u got to edit after.

laugh

i guess the thing is i never fuct with stream ripping b4 i downloaded wmp 9 today and i saw the new GZA full album as one of the first things on the media page. I clicked on the fast stream and i was like damn this sh1t sounds better than some of my mp3s. Being a huge fan of the wutang and all their members solo works i was like damn i gotta have this. So i just went thru the logical steps and bam i was stream ripping in like less than a minute. The fact that i have cool edit pro is a plus but i am sure this can be done with a regular old audio recorder. In terms of breaking the wave down to mp3 it was a simple matter of using cool edit and selecting each track (wich was easy to see due to the blank spots) i got all the info from cddb.com and named up the mp3s.

so yea i was a bit surpised at the relitive ease

OK time to edicate you all a little bit about how video works.

The reason AVI wont stream is because it's index is located at the end of the file. The index holds such information as the frame rate , the codec used, and other crucial information. Since it's at the end of the file no workee without it.

Mpegs have the info stored in the Gop (group of pictures)

typiclaly a gop consisits of 10-15 frames or so. It can be higher but usually isnt. Each Gop is like a beginning a middle and an end; it contains all the information to play its own section. (BTW 15 frames is about one half second.)

A broken file like a downloaded one, always starts with a complete gop (bnaturally) and is not broken until the end of the file. If the beginning of the mpeg file is cut in the middle of a gop, like you may see using a binary filesplitter, then the beginning of part 2 may start in the middle of the gop, and may skip some frames until it find the start of a new gop, or it may just crash WMP or not play at all.

the way streaming filetypes work (rm, wmv, asf etc) The Index is at the begining of the file before any video frames. it tells the pc what framerate to play the movie at, the codec etc. Then then compressed frame data gets passed on one at a time, cached, played back, and then purged.

Recording streaming audio as a wav will give you a lossless copy as the sound is indeed igital, and the recorder when using wav or directouind as source, will mirror it exactly. When joe shmoe takes this file though, and compresses it to mp3 after it will lose a little more quality, and will not be quite as good as the original. (Due to it being compresed server side, uncompressed(wav) and recompressed again. If Joe shmoe keeps it a wav though it will be as perfect as the original.