Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue1

Win2k making certain DOS games "frozen"

I'm having an odd problem with certain old DOS games, which, according to all the sources I can find, should work fine in win2k, albeit with no sound in some cases (eg. Tyrian 2000). Basically, when I run the executable, the game will seem to load and the menu, or the first load-screen, will show. However, at this point, I won't be able to make any input and the game won't proceed any further, even though, if the game has menu animations (flashing or swirling things, or whatever), these will continue to animate. If I alt-tab out and hover the mouse over the relevant bit of the task-bar, it tells me the application is "frozen". The games all run fine on other win2k PCs, but ideally I'd like to play them on this one. If anybody has any ideas/suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

I've tried all the usual fixes, such as using VDMSound etc.

*EDIT*

Whoops... should probably have given my system spec:

P4 2.0ghz Northwood

Asus P4-TE

512mb RDRAM

Asus Geforce 4 Ti4200

Soundblaster Live

80 gig 7200 Seagate HD + 40 gig 5600 Maxtor HD

DVD-ROM drive, CD-RW drive

Windows 2k sp2

Two ideas for you. First, alot of the old DOS games hardcoded IRQ 5 in for the sound for SoundBlaster support. I would make sure your sound card is using IRQ 5 and is sound blaster compatible.

The next idea would be to install the application that gives you a compatibility tab in 2K and run the game in 95 compat mode.

I've done both of those already, but to no avail. ;(

I'm no stranger to having to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit, since I did actually manage to get FF7 going on Win2k (no small feat). smile However, this one has me stumped.

Are you using any temperature monitoring utilities? These programs usually use a driver called "GIVEIO.SYS" which interferes with NTVDM. Disable it and DOS games should work fine. Motherboard monitor does not have this problem since Vlad of VDMSound fame reported it to the author and he fixed it. So I recommend using Motherboard Monitor. This is NOT a VDMSound problem. It's an NTVDM problem.