Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neo335

HardDisk running extremely slow!!!! HELP!!

My harddisk running extremely slow at the moment. Especially when i try to copy a 500MB file from one drive to another (I use Partion7 to partition into two drivers), it took something like 10 minutes. Also my harddisk running under windows XP pro take much longer to load up and games take a little bit longer to load up as well. I currently partition into 2 drivers, one for installing general applications (C drive) and the other one for backup(D drive).

My D drive is almost full and my C drive has something like 15GB left.

Do i need to format my C drive or there is a better solution out there?

Are you copying between partitions or drives? Are both drives on the same controller? Is DMA enabled for both drives?

Just a few things to check.

Hi!

Hehe the best is formatting your drives with Windows Disk Management and putting NTFS File System on your drives... smile

Okay back to reality:

You shuld try to Defragment both of your drives with Disk Defragment tool under Computer Management (Administrative Tools)... Or you can download a free eval copy of Diskeeper on www.executive.com and defragment your drives with that tool.

Your shuld also check your drive for errors (CHKDSK X: /F /X where X: is either your C or D drive...)

Hmmm next thing you shuld check is what DMA mode is your drive using for data transfers:

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Primary IDE Channel (and Secondary IDE Channel) -> Advanced Settings -> Transfer Mode - make sure its DMA if avaliable...

Current Transfer Mode shuld be Ultra DMA mode 2-5 smile

Well and make sure you are using 80-Conductor cabe connecting your HDD(s) to your Motherboard...

Wish you a lot of luck...