Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2drunk2funk

Installed XP and lost my ME Boot

I have (For the 2nd time) Installed XP Pro

When I did this first time around (When it was released) it recognised my existing ME boot and automatically created a multi boot config on startup.

I lost that XP install when I changed Mobo (BSOD on boot) and never bothered installing again till now.

This time I started fresh install on my second disk and formated it as NTFS.

It now just boots into XP.

I have done Recovery Console boot and BOOTCFG /SCAN and tried /REBUILD but it does not see the ME boot on the other drive.

I am using an Abit KR7A-Raid mobo with HighPoint drivers, I press F6 at setup and use the latest drivers and can in fact DIR the drives at recovery console.

When I was installing XP a few reboots came up with ntlldr error and I had to recover that and restarted the install.

Also on second install it failed on Welcome screen point with just a white dot top left of screen, if I left it a few minutes a NV4DISP.DLL loop message appeared, I managed to Safe boot and install NVidia 41.09 drivers and then it was fine.

I tried manually up[censored] the boot ini with different RDISK values but entry would just show HAL.something missing.

So, any way I can fix this ?

config the Boot.ini manually ?

Have I lost the MBR ?

Do I have to do FIXBOOT ?

Something else.

Been MS Site and cannot find anything apart from using BOOTCFG/SCAN or /REBUILD

do a search this topic has been covered numberous times. If ME is working correctly then just do a search for dual booting.

Sigh... another bites the dust.

ME does not recognize NTFS. Win95, Win98, and WinME cannot use NTFS. Any format of NTFS or installation of XP on NTFS will kill your Win95, Win98, or WinME completely. You MUST use FAT32 if you plan to use one of the older MS OS's.

To fix this, you will have to reformat the entire drive as FAT32, install WinME *first*, then install WinXP Pro. However, I don't recommend installing them on the same partition - that will kill both OSs eventually since they will use the same Program Files directory.

But if you plan on using WinME, you cannot use NTFS, period.

--Alexander

I actually resolved this and I am sure that you wanted to help Vermyn but your actually wrong *sign*, in fact most of your comments are very wrong.

It was to do with the ME HD drive being on the extra IDE slots controlled by the highpoint driver. (HP)

I moved the ME HD to the standard IDE slot and XP to the HP IDE slot.

Ran recovery console, did BOOTCFG /REBUILD

After minor manual adjustment of the Boot.ini I now have both disks booting fine 8)

The ME install does not see the XP NTFS drive but 3rd party stuff can enable that, which is what I am going looking for now smile