Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Question for the VIDEO file geeks out here (.avi, .mpg)

Depends quite a bit on the video resolution, video compression codec used, audio codec used...

I'm fairly new to video encoding, editing, etc. but here's a good resource with a great FAQ section.

www.doom9.org

I am the man for this gig.

We don't use Decss anymore either, we use Smartripper or DVDDecryptor.

Anyhoo, at a res of 640x272, or 640x480 (depending on whether its widescreen format or not,)

you can have it look good and be 6-8 MB per minute.

Formet about Mpeg, youll need to use mpeg4 (Which is divx 5.03 www.divx.com , or Xvid www.xvid.org. For a video encoding noob I'd suggest Divx 5 over Xvid. Do 2 pass encoding, and set your bitrate for the desired size. All the rest I can splain too as you go along, definately check out wqww.doom9.org it has all the codecs and free ripping tools and encoders available.

For an easy 2 pass divx 5.x you may enjoy FlaskMpeg. I've not used it but it does a good job and may be a little easier than virtualdub for you.

You could also try Gordion knot which will use divx 5 and virtualdub, but its all in one package and is just a front end for all the killer freeware.

I will clarify. These tools encode your Xvid or Divx video into an AVI container. So yes, they will be avi.

I've not used flask myself, I manually chug through it all with all the tool separate, I use the best I can find for each step of the wa.

best advice though is to use the stable, for obvious reasons. Bleeding edge new releases and alphas often have quite experimental code in them.

You will need to use smartripper or dvddecryptor to rip the movie files (*.vob) first. Then use a new tool, "Mpeg2cut" it does a really nice job of cutting vobs. Then you can encode only the part you want in flask.

All these tools can be obtained from the best dvd ripping resource on the net, www.doom9.org

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong but despite the fact the encoded vid will be in an avi 'container' if the host computer doesn't have divx or xvid installed the screenie won't work.

At least no avi works for me if it was encoded using those two codecs unless I have them installed or will the .scr get around that somehow?

If so you would just need to warn the users that they need to have them installed prior to running it, most peps do nowadays but you never know.

And it does sound like a cool screenie!!

I know your talking about the movie but I used to watch that old show all the time. one of my favs as a kid.

S

The other concern would be that unless you can get the file size down, it will take the screensaver ages to load before anything happens - same thing when you move the mouse, if it takes too long to clear up after itself, it could get annoying!

Of course, it won't really affect you, Alec, with your absurdly huge RAMDrive thingy laugh

Rgds

AndyF