Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

How do I make a script that will...

How do I make a script that will restart my computer automatically say every monday morning?

I had at one time a simple batch file that would restart my computer using scheduled task manager to execute it, but I can't find it, and there must be some new way to script the same thing to do it more efficiently.

Any ideas?

I know this sounds odd, but there is a reason behind it. Lets just say we have an employee at another office 30 miles away who can't even begin to restart a computer EVEN with written directions..so my manager asked if there was a way to automate it.

Quote:
How do I make a script that will restart my computer automatically say every monday morning

As long as the Task Scheduler Service is running

You can script an entire reboot using the commands AT and the shutdown.exe resource kit tool (native in XP).

It shouldnt take more then one or 2 lines for a batch file.

Still it is easier to use the GUI portion of the task scheduler and just copy and paste the task where it is needed.

HTH smile

they added a new command in 2k/XP. its called "shutdown"

!!

Just put shutdown in a batch file, and NAME THE BATCHFILE something OTHER than shutdown, like restart.bat

Then use task scheduler to run it.

Try this...

Open a command prompt start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

then type in shutdown /?

that'll give you some options to use with shutdown. the /? option is pretty helpful when you need to use a command but aren't quite sure about how to use it. /? simply means help on this command.

Hope this helps

Jim

Any of you guys knows how to hibernate a computer. I can't do it with the shutdown command.

Quote:
Why is a person using a computer they cannot even restart! That's scary!

Very scary hehe

Quote:
Try this...

then type in shutdown /?
Jim

Is this a Win2k Server command? I can't get it to work for Win2k Pro.

Quote:
Quote:
Try this...

then type in shutdown /?
Jim

Is this a Win2k Server command? I can't get it to work for Win2k Pro.

It's not built in like it is with XP. It's in the resource kit though. Sorry about that... just kinda assumed you were using XP for some reason smile

Quote:
Thing is though, I don't know if it IS native to XP or not... I do have it online here, but this setup is coming up on a year old now & over time I have forgotten EXACTLY what I extended the OS with in that folder!

Man, I can't even count the times anymore I've said that too! But, yes it is included in the default install of XP Pro. Probably is in home also, but I'm assuming that as well... laugh

Quote:
So, if you ever want to change that, that's pretty much all the data you need to alter system-wide search paths for DLL's &/or EXECUTEABLES... apk

Whoa! go easy on me there... I just woke up! haven't even had coffee yet!! laugh

Thanks for the info though smile I never really knew how Windows dealt with search paths. I'll keep this though since I can remember a few times I've wondered what the order was for searching.

Jim