Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silverado

"Download for Internet Explorer 5.5"

Does anyone know of a site that I can download the full version of IE 5.5?. All the links I have tried through Google lead me either to broken links or to the iesetup.exe file which fails also. I guess Microsoft removed it from their site. Thx in advance

I do not know of any place but I do have 55sp1full. It is rather big, 50M or so. It will work for all versions of windows. I could send it as an attachment if you can receive a file that big.

Download the ie*setup.exe file for whatever version of IE you need. This should work for 5.0 - 6.0 versions. Save file to temp folder or wherever you want it.

open a windows run box, type in,

C:\temp\ie5setup.exe /c:"ie5wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

Now you should get a prompt to download files and check the boxes for which versions of windows you need the files for.

Budious is correct, although I think the ie5setup.exe may differ from 5.01 to 5.5. The latest release of 5.5 IIRC is 5.5 SP2.

The Microsoft page referenced by Google was a 404, but I found the Google cached copy here.

A few minutes later...

It seems IE 5.5 SP2 has entered extended support, and the download has been pulled from Microsoft's site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/ie55exsupport.asp

While it is an option, I would not recommend downloading from a third party.

I wish they would just give you the full file to download instead of a smaller file that downlaods the full one. Its a hassle if you are on dialup because it prevents you from using a download manager.

1) Load win9x. 2) download iesetup.exe 3) Run it, choose cusotmize

4)Choose advanced ro whatever, click the box to "Download only"

there you can choose i5.5 sp2, ie6, etc, all full downloads.

You cant do this on 2k or XP only on win95/98/ME.