Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

nForce2 chipset and burner buffer underrun using Nero

I have a nForce2 MB (Epox 8RDA) with the latest bios and UDP from nVidia. I'm running 2k w/sp3 with a 2100XP

When I try to burn a audio CD using Nero ther are 2 problems. First, the audio tracks start playback 90 seconds from the end of each track. Second, I'm getting continious buffer underruns even down to 8x record speed with a 48x Samsung burner A 12x TDK works ok but seems to struggle with the files looking at the record buffer window. When I put that Samsung in a older KT133 (Epox 8KTA) MB it runs like a top.

DMA is enabled and I have defraged the drive. There are no other programs running.

look for firmware update.

My artec drive had the same problems under nForce boards, but a firmware update fixed it!

I swapped the two drives between the two boxes and the Samsung worked perfect on the KT133 MB! The record buffer stayed at 97% through the whole burn of mp3's into a audio disc!

The TDK 12x did work on the nForce2 MB, but it was a struggle! The record buffer and the used buffer fluctated bewteen 6 and 98% with the same tracks! The audio was ok after and started at the begginning of each song as it should.

I'm going to reload the O/s with only the video driver and see what happens.

These IDE drivers were not loaded! I checked Device Manager, but only the M$ drivers were listed!

I did, but no change.

Someone else suggested even though Device Manager shows that DMA is enabled, it isn't. I serached M$'s KB (much harder than navigating the registry) but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Would you believe it was the MB side connector of the CD IDE cable?

WTF! I must of checked EVERYTHING twice including doing benchmarks and swapping drives between the 2 boxes!