Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

win 2k3 clustering /routing

i have two servers that are both running win2k3 enterprise edition

i would like to cluster them together so that i have a failover.

i don't really use them for storage i use them for spliting up the cable modem to the network. I want to figure a way that if one crashes or dies i don't have to unplug anything a switch it around cause the net has to stay up all the time. Especially when i am not here.

anythougts?

Luckily I went to an MS seminar on Friday discussing (amongst other things) Windows 2003 Server - and one of the things mentioned was clustering and server consolidation.

2003 clustering is more advanced than before, in that it is now possible to setup 2-into-1 and N-into-1 clusters, as opposed to the relatively simple 1-into-1 clustering which has been available until now (although I may have understood that bit wrongly!)

Take a look here for more info on 2003 clustering.

Hope this helps,

Rgds

AndyF

Besides exchange 2000, I have yet to experience a need for such crucial uptime to warrant clustering.

As long as you have the proper hardware to setup and run cluster services, I cannt see a reason why RRAS would be an issue for that setup. An active/cluster should be adequate for your needs.

Quote:
Besides exchange 2000, I have yet to experience a need for such crucial uptime to warrant clustering.

As long as you have the proper hardware to setup and run cluster services, I cannt see a reason why RRAS would be an issue for that setup. An active/cluster should be adequate for your needs.

SQL and IIS could be other reasons ;), but if you are serving from home then chances are your home broadband connection will die before your hardware will. No amount of clustering will protect you from a failed connection.

Quote:
SQL and IIS could be other reasons

In our educational environment, upper management does not see a need for 100% uptime on Web services .... and well with SQL ... budget constraints should suffice it wink

Quote:
then chances are your home broadband connection will die before your hardware will. No amount of clustering will protect you from a failed connection

Anybody wanna donate to the "DS3circuit cluster services at home" fund? laugh

i am not trying to serve out to the net i am trying to serve the net to the office

i know how to set up a cluster but what i don't know is how to plug my cable modem into both machines. I don't want a nat router in front of the machines casue that is what the machines do.