Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rainky

InstallShield & XP

dudes..hi..i'm new to this...could any one help me out on this?

I juz bought Max payne..and i'm having errors wit installing it..

I'm running XP wit 2.4GHZ intel P4 512 DDR and a 16X dvd combo drive.

the problem is..when installing...it stops at 21% and reports Aplication error, "G:/Data2.cab" where G:/ is my CD drive letter..

and when i run it under Win98/ME compatibility, it reports CRC error...

I brought the game to my other Win98SE pc...and it installed juz fine!! AH!! HELP!!! ;(

Try to copy the cd to the hard drive just to see if the combo can read it. You could also install from the hard drive.

tried copying it....displayed a Invalid MS-DOS function?

wat is that suppose to mean?!

AH!!!

Your combo drive can't read the cd. It could be that the cd is dirty or scrached or it could be that the combo drive is faulty or at least less capable of correcting errors than a cd-rom.

How old it the combo?

whao..my combo drive..is new!

i juz got my laptop like 2 weeks ago...

the CD is clean..very clean...tried to install it the day i got it!

dammit...its really gettin on me..i'm damn pissed..bought Silent Hill2 too..couldn't run as well..dammit..=(

help me!!

It's a laptop.

Could it be that you have accidentaly touched the lens. Maybe you should try cleaning it with what you use for cleaning you ears (I don't know what it's called, you know those plastic sticks with cotton on each side laugh ).

If that doesn't help take it to where you bought it at tell them what's wrong. Hope you didn't void waranty. smile

Cotten BUD? heh..i dunno. :P

hmm..i didn't void the warrenty..oh btw..its a friendly...ahah..is there some protection on XP? =p

What kind of protection do you mean?

Did you try to clean the lens. Did it help?

like perhaps..some protection on XP that prevents pple from installing Pirated/friendly gameS?

hmm..i didn't try that though..couldn't find one..but i didn't touch the lens though..hmm..gettin really pissed at my laptop!!!

heh...

Well Automatic updates and background intelligente transfer services does send something to mico$oft.

There was an article posted on ntcompatible a while ago, that when up[censored] your xp's it sends iformation about software that is installed on your computer (Even those that is non micro$oft).

I don't know if M$ can use such information but beware.

so i guess..there isn't a way to install the games on my Laptop huh?

i guess i have to install it on my 98 and transfer the WHOLE directory by network..ahah.sad.

thanks dude!=D

Quote:
i guess i have to install it on my 98 and transfer the WHOLE directory by network..ahah.sad.
thanks dude!=D

Not quite that simple, the game might use registry settings which you would need to copy over as well.
Sounds to me like you have a dodgy DVD drive...if it works on one PC, but not another, that's what it sounds like.
Take the laptop back, get them to replace the drive.

Rgds
AndyF

Quote:
Cotten BUD? heh..i dunno. :P
hmm..i didn't void the warrenty..oh btw..its a friendly...ahah..is there some protection on XP? =p

So, it's a copy of the original game that you "bought", correct? If a game has some sort of copy protection, and the master wasn't copied correctly then the copy will have issues when it's used for the installation. Also, some copy protection schemes cause major issues with a large percentage of drives on the market. I remember Aquanox having a lot of issues with about half of its customers, and these were people that actually paid for a legal version of the game. If you are trying to get w4rez copies to install on your system(s), then I sincerely hope that it's a miserable failure.

Oh, and the mysterious cotton-based device referenced is called a cotton swab (or the trade name of "Q-Tip" by Johnson brand) in the US. smile

Quote:
Quote:
thanks dude!=D

Not quite that simple, the game might use registry settings which you would need to copy over as well.
Sounds to me like you have a dodgy DVD drive...if it works on one PC, but not another, that's what it sounds like.
Take the laptop back, get them to replace the drive.

Rgds
AndyF

The error couldn't possibly be happening on two Laptops could it?
it didn't run on my brother's Laptop as well..the same exact model....maybe its spoilt....but i've installed other games before..

So, it's a copy of the original game that you "bought", correct? If a game has some sort of copy protection, and the master wasn't copied correctly then the copy will have issues when it's used for the installation. Also, some copy protection schemes cause major issues with a large percentage of drives on the market. I remember Aquanox having a lot of issues with about half of its customers, and these were people that actually paid for a legal version of the game. If you are trying to get w4rez copies to install on your system(s), then I sincerely hope that it's a miserable failure.

Oh, and the mysterious cotton-based device referenced is called a cotton swab (or the trade name of "Q-Tip" by Johnson brand) in the US. smile

hmm....unfortunately..its w4r3z3d..ahha....

Quote:
I juz bought Max payne..and i'm having errors wit installing it.. I brought the game to my other Win98SE pc...and it installed juz fine!!

Quote:
hmm....unfortunately..its w4r3z3d..ahha....

Too bad some people join the forums just to post garbage like this.

Rainky, if you have questions or problems with legitimate software, I'm sure you will find most people here more than willing to help, and all for free, too. Most of us take it as an insult when you ask for help, and the information you provide is false. It simply wastes people's time.

Also, it seems you have a fairly decent system. I have to wonder why you wouldn't just purchase the game if you enjoy it that much. Can't be more than about $30 USD by now.

Quote:

The error couldn't possibly be happening on two Laptops could it?
it didn't run on my brother's Laptop as well..the same exact model....maybe its spoilt....but i've installed other games before..

first u say "bought" then u say "friendly"

please clarify?

did you try copyng the game to your hard drive? and running it - if so, that takes out the possiblity of a bad *rom drive.

if it is a "friendly" copy, as in w@rez version, then could be your drive as i do know of many who do have the game, illegally obtained, and it works fine. (w@rez groups do not relaease games that do not install and if they do they release another working version or a patch.)

Isn't the first rule something to the effect of 'If a hacker can get you to run his code on your computer, it's no longer your computer'?

Why take such a security risk?

Quote:
Too bad some people join the forums just to post garbage like this.

Rainky, if you have questions or problems with legitimate software, I'm sure you will find most people here more than willing to help, and all for free, too. Most of us take it as an insult when you ask for help, and the information you provide is false. It simply wastes people's time.

Also, it seems you have a fairly decent system. I have to wonder why you wouldn't just purchase the game if you enjoy it that much. Can't be more than about $30 USD by now.

Dude,All i typed in here is the truth..i am not giving u guys bullshit questions or what.
And as to why i didn't wanna buy the game?
Its a single player game.I'm not prepared to spend $30 on a single player game.

first u say "bought" then u say "friendly"

please clarify?

did you try copyng the game to your hard drive? and running it - if so, that takes out the possiblity of a bad *rom drive.

if it is a "friendly" copy, as in w@rez version, then could be your drive as i do know of many who do have the game, illegally obtained, and it works fine. (w@rez groups do not relaease games that do not install and if they do they release another working version or a patch.)

Can i buy a P*/friendly CD?

lol...so i "bought" a "friendly" Cd..get the link?

I tried copying the Disc to my HDD...couldn't copy..got the same message as when installing.