Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

VPN

This is a real annoyance I've been struggling with for ages.

I have a router at home, and the same router at work. From home I use a Windows XP network connection to dial up to my work LAN through VPN - just a standard VPN connection. It all works fine but the problem is - when im connected all my local internet traffic on my home computer switches over to using the remote router. Obviously it slows the internet down a lot, and uses excess bandwidth on the internet connection at work.

I've tried changing the TCP/IP settings on the VPN connection at home - manually assigning an IP address and DNS for the VPN connection, but all internet traffic still goes through the remote connection.

Does anyone know how I can stop it sending all local internet traffic to the remote router?

Thanks,

FREDDY

Because of the way VPN works, there is no way around this. The whole purpose of VPN is to re-route the traffic to another router, securely using PPTP and/or IPSEC.

Actually, there is a way to allow local network traffic. If you go to the networking tab of the VPN connection properties, and then select TCP/IP properties. In the properties box there is an advanced button, click it for advance properties. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network," and you are good to go. Be warned though that doing so will limit you to accessing the subnet on which you VPN connection resides, so if your company has a multi-subnet network, you are out of luck.

eeades

Thanks for your replies, both are valid points. That's cleared things up for me.

FREDDY