Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

MSI installer errors on fresh format

Hey all.

i formated my system today - well lastnight - Xp - SP1 - office XP - Sp2 a few other small apps in so far.

and i can not run any .msi installers!! all i get is:

msierror.JPG

i have tried a dozen fixes from the web i could find but none are working!!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

NTFS permissions? Are you trying to install from a partition that was left over from before the format & reinstall?

admin rights smile

no permissions blocking - all regular .exe files work fine.

it is a partition left over .

edit

okay - i just copied the file to my root c drive and it works? (did not yesterday) so why only MSI files and not exe's?

I suspect even though you're copying the .msi/.exe the permissions are being retained. I think you'll need to reclaim ownership of that partition.

As a trial, you could download a .msi file to your old partition (from the internet) and try to install it. Then re-download the same file to your new installation partition and try to install it. I know that you can download the .msi for MSN Messenger, so that may work as a trial for you.

Quote:
okay - i just copied the file to my root c drive and it works? (did not yesterday) so why only MSI files and not exe's?

A little thing called 'Inherit permissions from parent folder'. The root folder has no parent, so I think (someone correct me if I am wrong...) that permissions are thereby removed.

smile