Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

DNS question

Others must have run into this issue:

Server is set up using the Domain name

company1.company.com

Then they develop a web site hosted at

www.company.com but the local DNS server won't let any local users find it.

What do you do to point to the true internet address instead of the local server?

Thanks for any help.

Internal Web Server = company1.company.com

Access internal website on that site as = www.company.com

And you would like the internal users access the internal webserver?

Is your internal DNS separate from your external DNS?

If I am understanding you correctly, then this is all you need.

Create an alias record of www that points to the host record company1.company.com.

If you wanna create a separate host record, that fine as well.

I explained it badly.

The server is on a local subnet

192.168.0.x

they need access to the EXTERNAL website hosted outside their network.

Right now, using the server's DNS server, they can not hit www.company.com. If I change their settings to use their ISP's DNS server instead of the local DNS server, they can hit www.company.com

If I set them to use their local DNS server, they can go anywhere on the Internet EXCEPT www.company.com

Thanks

What you are looking for is Split-Horizon DNS hosting. This simply means that you are using a DNS server internally that hosts the same domain name as your "real" one on another network (in this case, the Internet). What you want, is to have your internal network DNS server host your www host record and point it to your webserver as DS3 mentioned. Next, you might have to validate your webserver's handling of incoming requests with that name (it sounds like it is working though). If "company.com" is what your internal network is using as its domain, then just add "www.company.com" as an alias, and point it to the IP of the hosting box. Since you stated that the box is outside of your network, you just use the outside IP for it.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand how I create this alias.

When I go into the DNS server, where do I do this, in the Forward Lookup Zone? And what type of record do I create. It seems when I create an Alias, it won't let me type in a name like www.company.com (no dots allowed and 15 charactor max).

;(

Thanks again.

You should be able to open the primary forward lookup zone, right click in the right hand pane, and add a new host. At that point, add a new record with just "www" and then put in the IP of the server that you want it to point to. This new record will inherit the parent domain (as indicated when you add the record) and will tack it on as the suffix to the "www" portion you created.