Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elux

Dual Boot

Hi All

Have a 80gig HD with 3 partitions. part1 2gig fat16, part2 20gig fat32, part3 remaining disk space fat32. Installed DOS 6.22 on part1 restarted and it booted into dos ok, installed XP on part2 restarted but it does not give nme a dual boot option the contents of the boot.ini file are:-

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

what do I need to add to this to give me the option to boot to dos?

Thanks

Never tried it with DOS, so I'm not sure it's going to work... but try to add something like

c:\="DOS"

Hi Guys,

I don't know if that'll work or not. Is that a documented feature? If it doesn't work then please let me know and I'd be happy to post a boot.ini compatible .dat for Dos 6.22, because I have it smile.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, I was'nt happy that XP did not see the dos o/s on the c: drive, so I decided to re-format the 2 partitions and reload dos on Part1 and XP on part2 this time XP picked up the dos o/s and created a dual boot system, as you said it only need the additional lines adding to the boot.ini new boot ini :-

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\ = "MS-DOS"

Thanks again for info