Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Screensaver - Reg Hack Question - Win95

Is it possible to set a screensaver to startup after say a 20 second idle? It will require a reg hack I believe. Or if not, is there a program out there that can do this?

Gotta love HIPAA

Quote:
Is it possible to set a screensaver to startup after say a 20 second idle? It will require a reg hack I believe. Or if not, is there a program out there that can do this?

Gotta love HIPAA

I am just curious why you would want to do this. That would be a hassle for reading web pages

It's actually for a buisness computer in the showroom of our DME store. The FDA requires us to keep all patient information private. Things are getting more and more strict, and we need to prepare against someone leaning over a counter top and viewing info on the monitor. We have a privacy screen on our monitors now that allows you to only see whats on the screen if you are directly behind it. If you are off to the side it just looks black. Having a screensaver kick in is just another step we have to take "just in case".

You could put a shortcut onto the desktop to the *.scr file.

You would then have to belt people over the head with a stick for a while until they got used to double-clicking the shortcut each time they were going to walk away.

Also, if you are using the resource-hogging stick of sh1t called the "Office Shortcut Bar" there is a button on that bar that starts the screen saver once pressed. It saves a click but if you aren't already running the Bar, don't start now.

I work in a datacenter for a state university and we have a couple of PC's that we let the admins use. Sometimes they forget to logoff of the machines (AD domain) so I setup a screensaver that would log them off. I used the group policy editor in the MMC to set the screensaver and the time it activated and to disable the screensaver tab in the display properties. This was ALL people that logon to these machines gets the same screensaver set for the same time and they can not change it unless they have admin rights and change the group policy.

Now that I have given you some background here is what I would do. Use the group policy to do what I have done but use the "blank screen" as the screensaver. I would also set it up to password protect the screensaver.

PS befor jumping into registry hacking take a look at the MMC and its plug-ins. It is amazing what you can do.